Eee PC Partitions

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Peter Bogiatzidis, Dec 23, 2011.

  1. Hello,

    I recently had to replace the hard drive in an Asus Eee PC 900HA netbook,
    which originally came with Windows XP Home installed on it.

    Since the new drive was larger than the original one, my plan was to
    reinstall Windows and then install Ubuntu (not the Netbook version) making
    it into a dual boot system. However, after successfully using the restore
    disk to install Windows on the new drive, I discovered that I was unable to
    install Ubuntu due to the fact that in the Windows restoration process
    apparently 4 partitions were created. It appears that is the maximum number
    of partitions allowed. Granted, I could delete one or more of them, but I
    don't think that would be a safe thing to do. Unfortunately, at the moment,
    I don't have the partition information with me to post here.

    Has anyone else encountered this? I believe that I just followed whatever
    the default settings were on the restoration disk and didn't deliberately
    create any of the partitions myself. Does anyone here have any pointers as
    to how I can manage to get Ubuntu installed without crippling Windows by
    possibly removing a necessary partition?

    I should also mention that I used an external CD drive connected via a USB
    cable adapter to install Windows from the CD.

    Thanks in advance to those who post a reply.

    Peter.

    Peter Bogiatzidis, Dec 23, 2011

  2. Peter Bogiatzidis

    Paul Guest

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...&model=Eee+PC+900HA/XP&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

    "In 900HA have 4 partitions too :

    one is the C:\ drive for the OS (windows XP Home Edition/Linux)
    One is the D:\ drive for data
    one is Other partition (i don't know what it is for) 39.22 MB
    One is PE Fat 32 partition 7.82GB for the restore partition."

    You could merge the data in D:, into C:, then remove D:. And
    that would give you room for a primary partition for Linux.
    Of course, doing so, may not make the restoration software in
    the 7.82GB partition very happy. Some restore software, wants
    to see the same disk structure as was there originally.

    Also, there are instances of OSes being installed in logical
    partitions. Once D: is removed, you could make an extended
    partition and put more than one logical partition inside. I
    don't consider logical partitions to be very flexible, and
    never bother with them here. But you can have a ton of logical
    ones if you want.

    I think I've had at least one Linux LiveCD, upon doing an
    install to the hard drive, it put the OS in a logical partition.
    I think it's possible for GRUB to boot without an active flag
    set, and as a consequence, the OS launched can be in a logical
    partition.

    I wish I knew what your 39.22MB (EFI???) partition was for.

    *******

    You can have four primary partitions, or three primaries and one Extended.
    Inside the Extended, you can have multiple logical partitions. The Extended
    has a partition number which functions as a "flag" that logicals exist.
    And the partition information for the logicals, isn't stored in the MBR.
    So you can have more than four partitions. Some OSes are picky, and the
    boot loader installed in the MBR, insists on the Active boot flag being
    present, and consequently the OS partition should be a primary. But
    there are other schemes available, that are not dependent on the Active
    flag.

    |Primary#1 | Primary#2 | Primary#3 | Extended |
    | Logical#1 | Logical#2 | ... Logical #N |

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 23, 2011