Effective Pop Up killers... (Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'Dell' started by S.Lewis, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Most people fooling around with WindowsXP SP2 (RC1 or 2) are aware that MS
    has included a nice pop-up killer into Internet Explorer 6. It works pretty
    darned well with little or no setup or intervention.

    But since it's not been released to the public yet, I was looking for an
    alternative that would function similarly.

    For those who don't already use the Mozilla browser, you might wish to try
    (standalone, no mail function) Mozilla FireFox version 0.9 for your internet
    browsing. I downloaded and installed it (on WindowsXP Pro) a couple of days
    ago.

    I find it to be faster than IE, far less cumbersome than Netscape, and far
    less gaudy than the earlier versions of Opera that I have tried. Firefox is
    small, fast, and also includes an effective pop up killer than requires
    little or no user involvement after install. During install, it also will
    import your IE favorites, history, and other settings if you prefer.

    For those of you who knew this months ago, just nod and play along.

    I've gotten really tired of separate, filtered, standalone popup programs.
    This browser works and is free.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 29, 2004

  2. S.Lewis

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ditto for the full Mozilla package, now at version 1.6 (with later betas
    available). I've been very satisfied with Mozilla since about version 1.1,
    using it for most all web access. Of course, the Micro$oft update web sites
    refuse to work with it, and a couple of other web sites (the UPS shipping web
    site is one) break now and then, so I keep IE around only for those rare uses.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 29, 2004

  3. S.Lewis

    Fox Guest

    Been using Firefox for a few months now, except for those times when
    IE is needed to run a program, Mozilla and or Firefox are the better
    choice.

    Fox, Jun 29, 2004
  4. S.Lewis

    Fox Guest

    Been using Firefox for a few months, and Mozilla before that, both are
    better than IE. It is the way to go except when you need IE which
    happens, but for the most part, Firefox/Mozilla are the better choice.

    Fox, Jun 29, 2004
  5. Actually, the current release is 1.7 (non beta).
    I've been very happy with Mozilla for more than a year now, same
    restrictions Ben mentioned.

    Vince McGowan, Jun 30, 2004
  6. S.Lewis

    Dave Guest

    I just finished trying Firefox 0.9 for about a week and I've gone back
    to IE. I found that FF seemed to be slower, especially loading
    graphics. It did do a nice job on blocking pop-ups, but I also missed
    my IE/Adsgone's ability to also block banner ads. I guess YMMV.

    We'll have to see how bloated IE becomes after SP2.

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 30, 2004
  7. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Dave,

    IE SP2 is by appearances no more bloated than usual. The only minor problem
    I've noticed is that since it is more aggressive with its' default security
    settings, it seems to attack virtually any (OE) e-mail delivered in HTML,
    even to the point of shutting down nearly all graphics in those mails (ie-
    legit retail mails that I get where the item, photo, and sale price simply
    won't display.).

    There's probably a setting somewhere either in IE or OE for this, but I've
    been too lazy to worry with it at the moment. I simply plan to use FireFox
    as a supplemental browser where needed.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jun 30, 2004
  8. S.Lewis

    Ben Myers Guest

    Vince: Whoops! I've gotten behind, haven't I? Thanks for the info... Ben

    Ben Myers, Jun 30, 2004
  9. Don't mention it - I was running ver. 1.5 :)

    Vince McGowan, Jun 30, 2004
  10. S.Lewis

    Hank Arnold Guest

    I also tried Firefox 0.9.1 for a while. I even let it take over as the
    default browser. Ran into several problems:

    1) I couldn't get IE to become the default browser again. Tried all the tips
    with no success until I uninstalled Firefox.
    2) I changed the path for downloads to E:\Downloads. Regardless, it insisted
    on downloading *everything* to the desktop!!
    3) the popup blocker said it was working. I get a message that it blocked a
    popup (no obvious way to tell it to stop telling me!) with text that said an
    icon should appear in the browser toolbar that (a box with an "x") that
    would allow me to see what was being blocked. It didn't exist.
    4) Can't prove it, but when I rebooted this morning, I got a message about
    extensions being "un-registered" (not exact wording.. can't remember exactly
    what it said). From that point on, hyper links in e-mails and newsgroup
    postings stopped working. Took a while to figure that out.

    I may install it again later, but I sure won't have it as my default
    browser!!!

    Hank Arnold, Jul 1, 2004
  11. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    Hank,

    I think that's a good idea too. I've left IE as my default browser while
    using and relegating FF to a supplemental role.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 1, 2004
  12. S.Lewis

    Lenny Bruce Guest

    For popup blocking I use Google tool bar. So far it blocked 866 popups.

    Lenny Bruce, Jul 1, 2004
  13. S.Lewis

    Guest Guest

    S Lewis writes:

    S> Hank,

    S> I think that's a good idea too. I've left IE as my default browser while
    S> using and relegating FF to a supplemental role.

    I have been using FireFox for a year (since it was
    FireBird) and have not had any of the above problems.
    It became default after a couple of weeks of regular
    use. I only use IE for window's update, to see if
    there are any non-critical updates I might want.

    Guest, Jul 1, 2004
  14. S.Lewis

    Dave Guest

    I shouldn't have a problem then. I used Eudora. :)

    Dave

    Dave, Jul 1, 2004
  15. S.Lewis

    Hank Arnold Guest