    two labels.

    However, I haven't found anywhere what the abbreviations EFI and SMI
    actually mean. What are these three letter acronyms?

    eleganger, Dec 10, 2007

  2. eleganger

    Jon Guest

    The abbreviation EFI is for Extensible Firmware Interface while I
    think SMI is from Sun Microsystem Inc.

    Jon, Dec 11, 2007

  3. eleganger

    gerryt Guest

    You mean SMI acronym or EFI acronym on Google didnt work for you?
    Please!

    gerryt, Dec 12, 2007
  4. eleganger

    eleganger Guest

    gerryt - yes, "acronym efi" and "acronym smi" on Google hadn't worked
    for my, because I hadn't tried it (I did try "define SMI" and "define
    EFI" which returned other results). Thanks for the tip, I will use it
    the next time I need an acronym expanded.

    So, SMI stands for *Sun Microsystems Inc*, while EFI stands for
    *Extensible Firmware Interface*. I did find the EFI article on Wikipedia
    before I posted here, but I wasn't convinced that a BIOS replacement
    originated by Intel was the same EFI as in *EFI disk label*.

    eleganger, Dec 13, 2007