    C partition volume because the EFI partition is blocking it....how do
    i move or delete this EFI partition...i tried in diskpart but cant see
    the EFI partition.......thanks for any help.....

    agodin10, Jul 28, 2011

  2. agodin10

    Tazz Guest

    What program are you using to clone the disk and who manufactures the
    new drive?

    Some manufacturers have their "own" free hdd clone program. WD and
    Seagate come to mind. They are both based on Acronis. I *think* they
    work this way: The free Seagate program will create an image of whatever
    partition on whatever brand drive (it shows all my partitions on all
    four of my various drives) but it will ONLY write the image to a Seagate
    hdd. The same for WD I guess. Check with website of the manufacturer of
    your new drive to see what they offer.

    Tazz, Jul 29, 2011

  3. agodin10

    agodin10 Guest

    hi...thanks for relpy....i dont have any problem cloning the drive but
    when i install the larger hd i cant expand the volume of the C
    partition because the EFI partition is still there,,,,, so on my
    larger hd i get the original C partition then the EFI 32 MB partition
    then the extra free space on the larger hd.......i cant expand the C
    partition into the free space because the EFI partition is in the
    middle...the EFI partion has no drive letter so i cant move it or
    delete it.....thanks

    agodin10, Jul 29, 2011
  4. agodin10

    BillW50 Guest

    Well trying to delete this partition under Windows 7 will probably be
    next to impossible. Booting from the Windows 7 DVD should have utilities
    that should be able to handle it I believe.

    If not, there are other CD boot utilities like Paragon Partition Manager
    (there is a free version too) and EaseUS Partition Master (also free).
    Or use your favorite partitioning boot CD to do the job. Don't even try
    to delete it under Windows.

    BillW50, Jul 29, 2011
  5. agodin10

    BillW50 Guest

    Acronis True Image (has a 15 day trial version available)
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

    Acronis True Image Seagate Edition (DiscWizard)
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

    Acronis True Image WD Edition
    http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&type=download&wdc_lang=en

    Paragon DriveBackup Express (free)
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

    XXClone, A New Way of Cloning the Windows System Disk (free)
    http://www.xxclone.com/

    BillW50, Jul 29, 2011
  6. agodin10

    Bert Hyman Guest

    Last time I looked, the trial version was fully functional, so if you
    move fast ...

    Still, I paid for it and use it for my nightly backups :)

    Bert Hyman, Jul 29, 2011
  7. agodin10

    BillW50 Guest

    I bought Acronis True Image 2009 and 2011 and I hate both of them. And
    not too much difference between the two versions actually. Acronis True
    Image for many years has had problems with some USB controllers. Oh they
    backup to any of them just fine. Just when restoring they can't find
    some of the drives. Some others, some days they can see them and
    sometimes they can't. Not good at all.

    I also use Paragon products and they are about the same as Acronis True
    Image. Although no USB controller problem. Paragon full backups are
    fine, but incremental backups takes forever (much longer than a full
    backup actually). Acronis True Image is far better for incremental.
    Otherwise not much of a difference.

    Nowadays I only use Acronis True Image just for cloning. And Acronis
    True Image can't clone live (under Windows). Although Paragon and
    XXClone can and does. Nowadays I don't make backups, but I clone instead
    and use the clone drives. I have about 5 drives that I rotate.

    I didn't think XXClone was going to be too good, but I was surprised how
    well it works and it is only 1.6MB in size. The commercial version will
    also do incremental cloning which is like unheard of. And unlike Acronis
    True Image and Paragon, has nothing running in the background when the
    application isn't running.

    BillW50, Jul 29, 2011
  8. agodin10

    Bert Hyman Guest

    The idea of trying to clone an active drive is just too creepy to
    contemplate.

    Bert Hyman, Jul 30, 2011
  9. agodin10

    BillW50 Guest

    Yes, that is why run off of the clone drive to make sure everything is
    just fine. If something is wrong, I always have the original. And
    checking the XXClone log this last time, like 34 files failed to copy.
    And they were all active (open) temps and log files. Which is no big
    deal for a cloned copy. I am really impressed by both Paragon and
    XXClone ability to clone an active drive. When I am not cloning an
    active drive, I am still use Acronis True Image to clone.

    BillW50, Jul 30, 2011
  10. Sigh.

    Create a small partition equal in size to the EFI partition
    in the free space starting at ( (last block) - (number of blocks in EFI) ).
    Clone the EFI partition to this new partition. Delete old EFI. Add
    free space to C:.

    "And on the 8th day, God created the system administrator,
    told him to go forth and make sure the internet stayed up, then flew off
    to an executive summit on Maui."

    the wharf rat, Jul 30, 2011
  11. agodin10

    olfart Guest

    been using Casper for years and it's saved my butt more than once. My main
    box runs 2 500g drives and I have 2 500 gb drives in a USB enlosure. I can
    backup (clone) both drives in about 5 minutes so usually do it at shutdown
    each night. 100% good copies every time with one click of the mouse. Works
    great on my 3 Desktops and 2 Laptops, but use Paragon for my eePC since HD
    can't be swapped.

    olfart, Jul 30, 2011
  12. agodin10

    olfart Guest

    forgot to add the fact that with Casper you can set/change the size of the
    partitions on the target drive when you clone ...which might solve the OP's
    problem

    olfart, Jul 30, 2011
  13. agodin10

    BillW50 Guest

    I heard a lot of people mention this about their favorite software.
    Although I haven't seen any software in the past 10 years that doesn't
    do this.

    BillW50, Jul 30, 2011
  14. agodin10

    BillW50 Guest

    You can clone 1TB in 5 minutes over USB2? Surely you must be taking
    about an incremental backups right? As it takes me about an hour per
    100GB. Thus 1TB would take me about 10 hours over USB2.

    I had to quit using Paragon with my EeePCs. Oh it backs up through
    Windows just fine. Although restoring with the Paragon Linux boot CD
    doesn't fit the 800x480 screen. And there was no way to shift things
    around. Also I don't believe an external monitor works in this case
    since I seem to remember the external monitor is locked at the same
    resolution. I never tried the Paragon WinPE boot CD. Maybe that one
    would work just fine.

    BillW50, Jul 30, 2011
  15. agodin10

    olfart Guest

    Casper has a feature called Smart Clone. The first time you run it it takes
    a long time to copy to a new drive. After that it's a matter of minutes
    since it scans the drives and only copies any files that were changed or
    added since the last tme. So yes it's incremental in that sense. I usually
    can re-clone each 500gb drive in 3-4 minutes which I do almost daily...at
    least the C Drive. Twice now I have had C Drive failures....once the drive
    went belly up and once it got infected. Dropped the side of the computer and
    replaced the bad drive with the cloned one from the USB enclosure and was
    back up and running in a couple of minutes

    Just yesterday I made a new boot disc for my eeePC 701 using Paragon. I use
    a 2gb Flash Card. When I booted with it I used the Safe MOde No Graphics
    option and it fit the screen perfectly. I stopped there and didn't actually
    do a restore from the Paragon arc file which I have on another 4gb flash
    card, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Seems to me I did the whole
    restore operation a few years ago to test it out and didn't have any
    graphics problems.

    olfart, Jul 30, 2011
  16. agodin10

    BillW50 Guest

    Ah okay, XXClone Pro does the same thing. Although they call theirs as
    incremental.
    I am sure I tried that and I actually tried to restore and I had
    problems. Also interesting, Asus XP restore disc uses a limited version
    of Ghost32.exe to restore XP. Although it can only restore. Getting the
    real Ghost32.exe and running it from say BartPE works and fits the small
    screen with lots of room to spare. So that is what I use on my EeePCs.
    Also works well backing up and restoring Linux too.

    BillW50, Jul 30, 2011
  17. I know I'm living in the past (Jethro Tull - huh? not heard of them
    either? oh.)
    but Norton Ghost <=8) fitted on a 1.44M floppy (It was an ancient form of
    removable media, m'lord)

    Esra Sdrawkcab, Jul 31, 2011
  18. I really don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

    Ghost used to be cool but has sucked since version 10. A bootable CD
    and dd is probably as close as you can get these days. Just whistle through
    you teeth and spit, 'cause it's all right.

    "The discs are squealing,clicking too
    the firmware says "replace drive soon"
    Read errors do from syslogs spew,
    but it's all right.
    Must've been a cosmic ray
    kinda sucks but anyway,
    looks like rebuild time today,
    but it's all right..."

    Lol, apologies to Mr. Hunter et. al.

    the wharf rat, Aug 1, 2011
  19. agodin10

    RnR Guest

    I wouldn't mess with it but are you really concerned about 32mb when
    you are dealing with 160gb of space? It's not worth your time IMO.

    RnR, Aug 2, 2011
  20. agodin10

    RnR Guest

    I forgot to mention that also when you format any drive, you loose a
    little bit in capacity .... I use a rule of thumb of approx 5% tho
    that's not exact.

    RnR, Aug 2, 2011