    Leaving a computer on 24/7 with monitor off...approx how much money per
    month in electricity will that be??

    tia

    Matt, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Matt

    Ben Pope Guest

    Whats your unit (KWh) cost of electrickery?

    I take it that when the monitor is off the machine isn't doing very much?

    I would guess that no more than about 150W would be required to run the
    machine (taking into account PSU efficiency).

    That equates to ~100KWh/month. In the UK that equates to something like
    £5-7/month.

    At a guess.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Matt

    ~misfit~ Guest

    But if you're going to leave it on when you're not using it you might as
    well spend the little extra electricity it takes and run [email protected] or
    something similar.

    ~misfit~, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Matt

    Matt Guest

    ummm what is that?

    Matt, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Matt

    EzAk Guest

    The [email protected] program is a special kind of screensaver. Like other
    screensavers it starts up when you leave your computer unattended, and
    it shuts down as soon as you return to work. What it does in the interim
    is unique. While you are getting coffee, or having lunch or sleeping,
    your computer will be helping the Search for Extraterrestrial
    Intelligence by analyzing data specially captured by the world's largest
    radio telescope.

    or you can help find a cure for cancer @

    http://www.ud.com/home.htm

    EzAk, Dec 22, 2003
  6. Matt

    Ben Pope Guest

    Or something useful like protein folding or cancer research.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 22, 2003
  7. Matt

    rstlne Guest

    Or something useful like protein folding or cancer research.

    Space Signals or Smallpox (cancer research part of the time)..
    Love how the USMIL ended up getting Bilogical Diseases as part cancer in
    the UD services.

    Some people would view the space signals as more important ;)

    rstlne, Dec 22, 2003