ELF compiler for ARM7 based Real-time embedded OS VxWorks 5.5

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Rohan, May 21, 2007.

  1. Rohan

    Rohan Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a hand held Meter Reading Instrument which has the following
    specifications

    CPU: Powerful embedded 32-Bit ARM7 microcomputer @ 24 MHz
    Operating System: Real-time embedded OS VxWorks 5.5

    I have a set of library files and include files etc which came with
    the device.
    It needs an elf file instead of the regular exe as executable.

    which compiler should I used to generate that elf file.

    Thanks,
    Rohan

    Rohan, May 21, 2007

  2. Rohan

    Tom Lucas Guest

    Google for "ARM compilers" and you'll find lots. Some are free such -
    gcc - and others cost a lot - Greenhills, IAR etc. There are some in the
    middle which are not free but are much cheaper than the dear ones -
    Rowley. I'm sure Windriver will have a compiler they prefer for work
    with VxWorks but I guarantee it won't be cheap.

    Incidentally, the 'exe' is not regular, it just happens to be the object
    code format you are most familiar with (I guess you are from a PC
    background).

    Tom Lucas, May 21, 2007

  3. The last I knew, the ARM compiler that Rowley sells is gcc.
    Precisely. ELF _is_ the "regular" executable/object file
    format. The .exe format is an oddball, proprietary format.

    Grant Edwards, May 21, 2007
  4. Op Mon, 21 May 2007 13:51:56 +0200 schreef Tom Lucas
    That one is called the Wind River Compiler (formerly Diab).
    Exe is not a format, just an incarnation of the PE (Portable Executable)
    format, which in turn is a perversion of the COFF format.

    Boudewijn Dijkstra, May 21, 2007
  5. Rohan

    Tom Lucas Guest

    I realise that the underlying compiler is still gcc but I would say that
    from the OP's point of view they would appear to be two different
    beasts. From the questions the OP asked one can infer that he is not
    overly familiar with the linker end of the build process and is likely
    to assume that the IDE _is_ the compiler.

    But you are certainly correct, Crossworks generates object code using
    gcc.

    Tom Lucas, May 21, 2007
  6. The one that came with VxWorks 5.5 for that architecture. You'll need the
    VxWorks environment anyway because of OS headers and libs and the build
    environment.

    And yes, it's expensive.

    Mit freundlichen Grüßen

    Frank-Christian Krügel

    Frank-Christian Kruegel, May 21, 2007
  7. The IDE (including the debugger) are Rowley's -- I hope nobody
    thought I was implying they weren't or that Rowley was doing
    anything wrong. If you want an IDE (particulary if you want
    Linux support), Rowley is the first place I'd look.

    The fact that the compiler itself is open-source is a real
    bonus.

    Grant Edwards, May 21, 2007
  8. Rohan

    Rohan Guest

    My doubt number 2 (sorry for sounding so stupid as its very new to me)

    if I am able to write some code using C on some IDE with gcc as the
    compiler. Now will the generated elf file will sit in my processor and
    be accessibly to the VxWorks OS like it is in windows??

    Rohan, May 22, 2007
  9. Rohan

    Paul Burke Guest

    I (blush) have to admit that I've never used VxWorks, I expect I'm the
    only subscriber here who hasn't. But if it's anything like other RTOSses
    you compile your application along with the OS, producing a single ELF
    (or whatever format) file that you then load into the target device's
    memory. Any filing system available is normally only used for data files.

    Paul Burke

    Paul Burke, May 22, 2007
  10. Rohan

    Tom Lucas Guest

    I believe it may be possible to load your code into memory at a certain
    location and have the OS jump to it when required but this is only a
    guess based on how it appeared to work when I had a brief encounter with
    VxWorks some time ago. Of course, this requires that VxWorks already be
    loaded.

    I do know that the LogicLoader OS that comes with LogicPD's development
    kits allows an elf to be uploaded serially or via ethernet (or JTAG too)
    and that the program can be started from the OS in a windowsish style
    (more DOS really). I believe the OS is based around uCos but I don't
    know for sure.

    I think the OP is standing at the bottom of a steep learning curve but
    one probably less steep than trying to bring up a new processor from
    scratch. I'm sure Lewin has written a book about about this sort of
    thing - it does seem to be rather up his street ;-)

    Tom Lucas, May 22, 2007