Elite ECS RX480-A vs. ECS RS482-M vs. Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard?

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Jason, May 25, 2006.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Last week I bought an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard for $120 and a
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+ for $170 from Fry's. I wanted to get the 3500+
    anyway, and it was $170 instead of $200 if I got the ECS RX480-A with
    it. So I now have a ECS RX480-A mobo I may never use.

    First, I'm trying to decide if it's worth keeping the Asus A8N-SLI
    Deluxe mobo for $120 or if I should return it and use the ECS RX480-A
    instead? Or would it be worth the trouble to exchange the RX480-A for
    the RS482-M for the same price?

    All I care about is game performance, especially Doom 3, Half Life 2,
    Battlefields 2, Unreal Tournament series, etc.. A few percent of
    performance difference isn't worth bothering with, but 10-30% probably
    would be.

    I did feature comparisons on these 2 ECS boards, and the RX480-A
    supports more memory while the RS482-M has onboard video (which I
    doubt would be anywhere as good as a Geforce 6600), so the feature
    differences don't matter to me... only game performance. All I know
    from searching on Google is the RS482 chipset is newer and supposedly
    better than RX480, but I don't know by how much.

    Can anyone give me some opinions on which of these 3 motherboards to
    choose for game performance?

    Finally, I'll mention I got a Manchester core (E4 stepping) instead of
    a Venice core (E6 stepping) in my A64 3500+. Someone told me the
    difference in speed and overclockability (hopefully I can get up to
    2600 MHz) should be trivial between these 2 cores, so I plan to keep
    the Manchester unless someone tells me the performance difference is
    significant.

    Regarding my system as it stands:
    - A8N-SLI Deluxe
    - A64 3500+ with Manchester core (X2 with 1 core disabled)
    - 1 GB PC3200
    - Geforce 6600 PCI-E
    - Windows 2000 SP4

    My only disappointment is that games like Doom 3 are still not jitter
    free. Most of the time they are fine, but every 10-30 seconds there
    will be a slight jitter or pause as I move around. I don't know if
    everyone else experiences these jitters or it's just me. I thought
    this system would be enough. Since this is a brand new install and I
    only have the minimal drivers/applications installed, I doubt I have
    anything interfering with the CPU to cause the intermittent jitters.

    Any help would be appreciated. I'm sorry this post was long.

    Jason, May 25, 2006

  2. Jason

    rennie Guest

    I am quiet sure that the 6600 is too slow, but that depends on the
    resolution and details of the game. An additional GB Ram would not be
    bad, too.
    Rennie

    rennie, May 25, 2006