    out of town. And that's a reason I don't use File Vault, because if
    there's a power outage, and the iMac restarts, it will be stuck at the File
    Vault login instead of automatically logging into my user account.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 10, 2012

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Alan Browne Guest

    Is it really that important they be sorted while on the road?

    Do you have many power failures? Are they typically short enough (say
    less than 10 minutes) that a good UPS will keep it up until power
    restoration?

    An idle iMac with the monitor backlight off and the drives spun down (if
    so enabled) doesn't pull much juice.

    Alan Browne, Nov 11, 2012

  3. My IMAP provider is me.com/mac.com/icloud.com

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 12, 2012
  4. Is it really that important they be sorted while on the road?[/QUOTE]

    Fairly important. When I'm out of town, it's usually for a week to two
    weeks.
    They're quite rare, actually. But still...
    True, which is why I don't mind keeping it running 24.7.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 12, 2012
  5. Michelle Steiner

    Bread Guest

    Very few, as far as I know, nowadays make such rule set-ups available
    to end users. They generally just assume users will do it on their
    computers.

    For what its worth, one that *does* allow it, which I have been using
    for years, is Fastmail.fm. Worth every penny I've paid them and then
    some. Excellent webmail interface for when needed, server-side
    filtering (and junk marking!) and other stuff. Not that I'm suggesting
    Michelle change, as once one has settled into a mail provider, it's
    sometimes difficult to switch (though since she has her own domain, it
    would actually be pretty easy for her). But if anyone is looking for
    such a mail provide, I am happy with the one I use. (no relation to
    them other than satisfied user).

    If there are others worth knowing about, I'm always happy to hear. I
    know, for example, that pobox.com offers many of the same features and
    also has a good reputation, but I've never used them.

    Bread, Nov 12, 2012
  6. Michelle Steiner

    Alan Browne Guest

    Fairly important. When I'm out of town, it's usually for a week to two
    weeks.
    They're quite rare, actually. But still...
    True, which is why I don't mind keeping it running 24.7.[/QUOTE]

    I meant that in the sense of adding a UPS. If power failures are
    typically of short duration, then that's probably all you need with
    webmail as a backup (gmail etc). Then you could Firevault your iMac.

    In the last 3 years here:

    1 power outage of 10 minutes (with 3 days notice) due to a major eqt.
    changeover.

    1 glitch 2 weeks ago during a windstorm (related to Sandy). Caused
    television to restart but not the iMac.

    Alan Browne, Nov 12, 2012
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Lewis Guest

    The world's largest provider of IMAP email is gmail, and it allows
    server-side rules.

    Lewis, Nov 12, 2012
  8. I meant that in the sense of adding a UPS. If power failures are
    typically of short duration, then that's probably all you need with
    webmail as a backup (gmail etc). Then you could Firevault your iMac.[/QUOTE]

    I said that was one of the reasons, not the only reason, I don't use
    filevault.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 13, 2012