    I'm pitching an idea I'd like to be able to explain it in real
    language, not Little Golden Book language.

    Thanks for any input...

    larwe, Nov 6, 2007

  2. larwe

    Ray Haddad Guest

    Wiley or McGraw/Hill come to mind right away when I think of
    engineering books of any kind. CRC Press, too, but they're mostly
    contract publishers.

    Ray Haddad, Nov 6, 2007

  3. Agreed. Most of the books on my self come from Wiley and McGraw too.

    I also noticed "Microsoft Press" on one of them, but I suppose that's a bit
    hairy, right Lewis? :)

    Meindert

    Meindert Sprang, Nov 7, 2007
  4. Oops... ehhr, Lewin

    Meindert

    Meindert Sprang, Nov 7, 2007
  5. If there are authors here who have worked with various other
    My first and only book was published through Elsevier / Newnes. for wha
    it is worth it is called "Excel by Example: A Microsoft Excel Cookbook fo
    Electronics Engineers ".

    I never had to pitch the idea for the book- I was approached after I ha
    written a 3 part article for Circuit Cellar on the subject. As a result
    am unaware about the initial contact, however I do know that they take th
    book proposal and farm it out to several engineers and authors and pay the
    (or at least promise to pay them) for their time to review the proposal.
    know, I reviewed one and I was also asked for the names of some engineer
    who would be qualified to do some reviews.

    I worked with 2 editors and I found my interaction with them to be mos
    rewarding, but neither were directly technical. Of course this is a direc
    function of the personalities involved on both sides.

    Once written, the "manuscript" was never subjected to peer review which
    found puzzling, but having read a number of books in my career, it seem
    to me that this is not done, perhaps in order to get to market sooner. O
    course it was edited and typeset, but there was far less attempt to chang
    my style than there is by the editors in the magazines I have written for.

    When someone posted a fallacious review on Amazon, after much effort the
    managed to get it removed. However they have been less than successful i
    dealing with illegal copies of the book on the 'net. I don't know if any
    publisher has been successful in this regard. I also feel that since the
    are such a large publisher, they don't put a lot of advertising effor
    behind most of the books. I am not sure how they select the few that the
    do push.

    I know Tim Wescott is active on this forum and has the same publisher as
    do

    perhaps you can contact him for his thoughts.

    -Aubrey

    antedeluvian51, Nov 7, 2007
  6. larwe

    larwe Guest

    I've published three with Elsevier, with the fourth out next year;
    this is why I feel it's time for a change.
    Me too! The acquisitions editor there contacted me after I had an
    article published in Embedded Systems Programming.
    If you're in the US, I probably know one of them; initials T.G. - who
    was the other one?
    This is a bit annoying, true. All my books are circulating on the peer-
    to-peer networks. But this is true of many other books also. Can't be
    helped :(
    Yes, I know Tim - I was one of the reviewers for his book (I don't
    remember if I read the proposal but I definitely remember reading the
    ms.). Small world :)

    larwe, Nov 7, 2007
  7. In Canada, actually. The other was T.G.'s predecessor, C.L.

    -Aubrey

    antedeluvian51, Nov 7, 2007
  8. larwe

    larwe Guest

    Oh, the fun I could have writing for Microsoft Press.... };-)

    larwe, Nov 7, 2007
  9. The "Pragmatic Programmers" are running a publishing house for software
    books, and when someone buys a PDF, they re-generate the PDF with the
    purchaser's name in the footer of every 2nd page. It'd be possible to
    strip that out if you tried hard enough (or if the practice was wide-
    spread enough for some hacker to publish a program for the purpose),
    but it has served fairly well to limit the release of these books.

    It's something that every E-book publisher should be doing. Ask yours
    why they aren't.

    Clifford Heath.

    Clifford Heath, Nov 8, 2007
  10. larwe

    larwe Guest

    These are not e-books, these are printed physical books. My first book
    came with a PDF on the CD-ROM, OK, I can see that dropping onto the
    networks. My other two books were physical paper; they have been
    dissected and scanned. Search the P2P networks for any technology
    title released in the last 5 years, you'll find it there..

    larwe, Nov 8, 2007
  11. Better to issue a key to allow downloading the (watermarked) PDF.
    Oh, ok. That happens too, but the resulting EBooks are too painful
    to use - anyone who actually cares will spring for a proper copy,
    and you wouldn't sell to the others anyhow.
    Yes, of course. But with the purchaser's name in the footer, a
    publisher can at least refuse to sell that individual anything
    else... so far as they can identify the individual... and assuming
    they're willing to scan the networks themselves.

    Clifford Heath.

    Clifford Heath, Nov 8, 2007
  12. larwe

    larwe Guest

    no :( these were done pretty well. At a guess they saw off the spine
    and use a sheet-fed scanner and OCR software. The PDFs are well-
    aligned and fully searchable.

    larwe, Nov 8, 2007
  13. Even the drawings ?
    That could also suggest an inside-leak ?

    -jg

    Jim Granville, Nov 8, 2007
  14. larwe

    larwe Guest

    There were a couple of flavors floating around. One of them you could
    see the sawn edge of the pages, definitely a "pro-amateur" job. But
    the quality was still pretty good. There was another version I believe
    to have been a "stripped" Amazon.com e-book download. My second book
    wasn't made available as an e-book IIRC. I find it hard to remember.
    Nothing I can do about it in any case.

    larwe, Nov 8, 2007
  15. If you or your publishers were really smart, you would learn to work with
    the flow as opposed to trying, in vain, to work against it. As was said
    in this thread, people who download your books from P2P networks wouldn't
    be buying them if they couldn't download them. The people who download books
    are doing so because they don't have enough money to trivialize the cost
    of a legal copy. Worst case, they read a couple of books they "stole" from
    you, get smarter, get a (better) job, and look for other books to purchase
    with your name on the spine because they trust you and now have the money
    to invest in you. Look at it the way Microsoft looks at piracy in China,
    building an audience.

    Two words of advice for publishers. One, digital copies of a book should
    be significantly cheaper than paper copies, because far fewer costs go into
    producing and selling them. Two, every paper copy of a book should come
    with a free digital copy (easier to search, longer lasting in general, more
    portable).

    ---Matthew Hicks

    Matthew Hicks, Nov 8, 2007
  16. larwe

    larwe Guest

    Uh-huh, yes, sure, etc. I don't have a lot of comment to pass on this
    except to say that almost nobody who speaks this way has actually
    written a book or produced a movie or whatever the case might be.

    I couldn't really care less about the lost royalties. The monetary
    return from an embedded systems book (with few exceptions) is not
    much. The reason for writing is the same as for filing patents: i.e.
    to keep my name in view and add credibility to the resume. But it
    galls me to see Russian websites selling PDFs of my book - without
    paying royalties. That's theft right there. Starving student in an
    attic stealing a copy, not so much.

    larwe, Nov 8, 2007
  17. larwe

    Al Balmer Guest

    Nonsense. They do it because they're thieves. This same argument has
    been used for years to "justify" stealing software.

    Al Balmer, Nov 8, 2007
  18. It's not justification it's reasoning. If companies would learn to understand
    why people do things, they would know how better to get that same group of
    people to do what they want (buy more product). Your attitude is one of
    ignorance, which will lead you to concentrate to much time an assests on
    counteracting "thieves" and not enough time on pleasing customers. This
    will, at the very least, limit your potential as a profitable business (much
    more than the "thieves" did in the first place).

    ---Matthew Hicks

    Matthew Hicks, Nov 8, 2007
  19. larwe

    Al Balmer Guest

    You attitude is that of a thief who still has a nagging conscience and
    feels compelled to attempt justifying his thievery.

    Al Balmer, Nov 8, 2007
  20. Or is my attitude that of a customer lost due to your hard-headed business
    practices?

    ---Matthew Hicks

    Matthew Hicks, Nov 8, 2007