Emule and CPUidle?

Discussion in 'Epox' started by KillingJoke, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. KillingJoke

    KillingJoke Guest

    Hi all,

    I live in a very hot climate and at the moment temperatures can reach 30
    degrees at night. My PC is cooled as much as it possibly can be without
    installing an air con next to it ;-) and I was thinking about running
    CPUidle which proclaims to cool by executing halt commands to increase the
    CPU idle time.

    However, how will this affect emule which uses 3-15% CPU time, all the time.
    I run Emule 24/7 and my CPU temp is getting to 55 degrees, even at night.

    All seems well at the moment, but temperatures will increase over July and
    August and I am a little concerned. Can anyone recommend CPU idle or even
    VCool.

    Please don't suggest additional cooling as I've said already there ain't
    much more I can do without loads more expense. Oh yeah, it's an XP1600 on
    an EPOX 8kha+ mobo and not overclocked.

    Ta

    Kj

    KillingJoke, Jun 25, 2003

  2. If you are using an "NT Core" OS (NT/W2K/XP) CPUIdle won't do
    anything, as the OS already uses HLT instructions to shut down and
    unused CPU modules (eg. FPU, MMX, SSE mudules). If you are using
    95/98/ME then it should do some good.

    Arnold Delavigne, Jun 27, 2003

  3. KillingJoke

    QED, eh ? Guest

    CPUIdle didn't do a great deal for my rig.
    But I got good drops with the following -

    Fitted a 9"-square, plastic, louvred vent in the side panel
    (bottom/rearwards).
    Removed PSU cover.
    Added second PSU fan (same as first).
    Removed ALL fan-guards.
    Removed ALL blanking slats/cut-outs.
    Cut out case-fan grilles.

    CPU used to run 52/72C - now at 40/56C.

    If heat's a real problem, you could also underclock to drop your
    voltages/temps dramatically

    -------------------------

    Epox 8RDA3+ (225 FSB - 2.0v)
    XP1700 DUT3C (9.5 - 2134 MHz stable = XP2700 - 1.80v)
    2 x OCZ 256MB PC3700 (450 - 7-3-3 / 2.0 dual - 2.9v)
    Gigabyte Radeon 9700 Pro (1.5v)
    Air - 39/56C
    3DMk03 - 5,098
    3DMk01 - 16,126

    QED, eh ?, Jun 27, 2003
  5. KillingJoke

    QED, eh ? Guest

    Apparently, it only helps 9x systems - as NTx has its own thermal
    management.

    CORRECTION : - CPU fan

    QED, eh ?, Jun 27, 2003
  6. This is interesting, since CPUidle is an extra $10 for the Pro version,
    which is necessary for NT core OSes..... Is the developer selling hocus
    pocus? ;-) I looked into CPUidle the other day, but the $30 pricetag
    turned me off.

    Regards,

    Margaret

    Margaret Wilson, Jun 27, 2003