Enabling onboard network boot ROM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Adam Nielsen, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. Adam Nielsen

    Adam Nielsen Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm running a Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 but I can't get the onboard network
    bootrom going. The onboard LAN is a Realtek RTL8169, but even with all
    the BIOS LAN options set to enabled the board still won't boot from the
    LAN (it doesn't even seem to run the bootrom, there are no extra boot
    messages displayed.) I tried running lspci under Linux and apparently
    the bootrom is there but it's just disabled:

    01:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology: Unknown device e000
    Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at 9800
    Memory at df00b000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

    Does anyone have any experience troubleshooting this sort of thing?
    I've reflashed the BIOS in case the bootrom code was included there but
    it didn't make any difference - does anyone know why the bootrom is
    being disabled?

    Thanks,
    Adam.

    Adam Nielsen, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Adam Nielsen

    Adam Nielsen Guest

    I'm running a Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 but I can't get the onboard network
    Well, in case anyone has this problem in future, the board works now.
    Gigabyte supplied me with a tweaked BIOS version (which had a different
    network bootrom in it) and it works perfectly now. This appears to have
    been released as BIOS version "FH" available from their support page:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw

    Cheers,
    Adam.

    Adam Nielsen, Aug 6, 2004