END OF MY ROPE

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Deckhead, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Deckhead

    Deckhead Guest

    Help,

    I am very dumb when it comes to computers. I have purchased a Radeon
    9500 non-pro 128MB 8X graphics card specifically to play online
    games.(Planetside) My comp specs are as follows: DELL 8200 Demension
    2.0 ghz P4, 768 RDRAM, 400 FSB (it had a gforce4 64MB fx card)

    I have just installed the new card and All programs that I use run
    fine, but little things like the words I am typing, some are black and
    some are blue.(very annoying). When I play Planetside all of the
    graphics "splinter" horribly. I have read where it could be numerous
    things. Fast writes, BIOS, Settings, (Heat and Power I can deal
    with), or just a messed up card. Is there anyone who can tell me in
    layman's terms step for step:

    1)how to disable fast writes,

    2)how to upgrade BIOS w/o killing my comp,

    3)what setting I need to be running.

    4) I tried to download Catalyst 3.0a, but when I try to install it, it
    makes me reboot, tells me it is going to run some tests but does
    nothing, and never shows me the program to run.

    PS: when installing card I connected the card's power cord to what I
    believe is the HD. Is this correct?

    Thanks so much,

    Deckhead

    Deckhead, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Deckhead

    John Guest

    more than likel the old nVidia drivers are still in there, so you are
    gonna have to remove them, use add/ remove programs, and maybe even use
    something like Cleansweep to clean all of the nVidia stuff out. This is a
    Dell, very proprietary, so keep that in mind as you work.
    For now I strongly discurage upgrading the BIOS, more than likely you are
    fine there. That is a last resort in any case, and I only do that if
    absolutely necessary.

    remove the old video drivers, set to standard VGA, reboot, and load the
    ATI driver of choice

    should work just fine

    John, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Deckhead

    Adrian Guest

    Nice machine!
    With the ATI, this can be disabled by right clicking the desktop, then
    selecting Properties. Once in there, go to the Settings tab. Once on the
    Settings tab, click on Advanced. Once the large tabbed dialog box appears,
    go to the SMARTGART(tm) tab and you'll see the option to disable Fast-writes
    from there.
    That's a big topic, more than I'll go into here. All I'll say, is follow
    the instructions in the README.TXT with the BIOS update, plug your
    computer's power cable into a surge protector (to stop electrical spikes
    interrupting your PC), don't touch your computer until the flash process is
    finished (and make sure you know what indicates a successful flash - e.g.
    with Intel motherboards, a series of beeps indicates success). Flash
    updates are normally done via MS-DOS and a floppy disk, which I prefer.
    Not sure what you mean by this.
    It could be you have drivers from a previous installation. Try uninstalling
    the drivers from a previous card, and then changing your video adapter to
    Standard VGA. Then install the ATI drivers.
    Only if the HDD itself has a 4-pin power connector splitter plugged in. In
    other words, from the PSUs own power connector, the splitter is plugged into
    that, then the splitter provides two plugs, one to your video card and one
    to your HDD.

    ~ Adrian ~

    Adrian, Jun 27, 2003
  4. Deckhead

    Deckhead Guest

    I was able to disable fast writes, but to no avail, graphics still
    splintered.
    Here is where I am so far. I erased all files for Nvidia card
    except for a DLL file that it would not let me erase. I uninstalled
    the card from device manager. I then downloaded most recent catalyst
    3.5 for my card. I then shut down comp. installed new card. reupped
    comp. Installed new driver. Rebooted. Installed Control Panel.
    Rebooted. Graphics still splinter in game. Even when I reboot the
    DELL symbol is distorted. When I run BIOS, some of the letters and
    numbers are distorted. I am stressed out. Also, I dont know if this
    means anything but, my PSU only puts out a max of 250 watts.(good,
    bad???) Any more info will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Deck

    Deckhead, Jun 28, 2003
  5. Deckhead

    Pluvious Guest

    I would think that stray .dll you couldn't delete might be a problem.
    If it's still there, try to delete it again. If you can't, try it in
    SAFE MODE.

    Also, I once found a tricky work around for this problem, I renamed
    the file .. THEN deleted it after a reboot. (it couldn't load up at
    the reboot since the name was wrong.. :))

    Pluvious

    Pluvious, Jun 28, 2003
  6. Deckhead

    Shaun Guest

    250Watts is far too small. There's your problem.

    ALso make sure the card is fully seated in the slot, there are 2 levels it
    pushes through.

    I was able to disable fast writes, but to no avail, graphics still
    splintered.
    Here is where I am so far. I erased all files for Nvidia card
    except for a DLL file that it would not let me erase. I uninstalled
    the card from device manager. I then downloaded most recent catalyst
    3.5 for my card. I then shut down comp. installed new card. reupped
    comp. Installed new driver. Rebooted. Installed Control Panel.
    Rebooted. Graphics still splinter in game. Even when I reboot the
    DELL symbol is distorted. When I run BIOS, some of the letters and
    numbers are distorted. I am stressed out. Also, I dont know if this
    means anything but, my PSU only puts out a max of 250 watts.(good,
    bad???) Any more info will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Deck[/QUOTE]

    Shaun, Jun 28, 2003
  7. Deckhead

    Ceyko Guest

    Negative. This is the common perception from all DELL owners. Their
    support boards have raved on about this for months now. On occasion Dell
    reps that monitor the boards have made statements that their 250 power
    supplies have been rated below specs. In actuality they are capable of 345
    watts. Here are my specs that run fine on this type of PSU. Others claim
    to have more HDDs and other accessories that me running off the stock PSU.

    P4 3.06 ghz 800mhz fsb
    Radeon 9800 np
    512 PC 3200
    Audigy 2
    CDRW
    DVD
    60gb HDD
    80gb ext firewire HDD
    xp home

    However, I think you still may be on to something.
    1. No one will argue that these type of specs (even the orginal poster's)
    will put the PS above 60% utilization. (just an estimate)
    2. Any minor glitches the PS itself could cause it to work at less then
    specs and your estimate would be true.
    3. Any minor problems with the power being put into the PS could also hold
    #2 try and again, your estimate would be true.

    To Deckhead -
    For a new power supply for you Dell, I recommend www.pcpowerandcooling they
    make PS that are known to fit all Dells. Most "power" Dell users buy from
    here. You can use their "Power Supply Selector" tool or simply email them.
    They answer emails right away and a good at customer support and tech
    support. Also, if wanted they can make just about any type of customized
    power supply you could want.

    Have you been able to rule out a faulty video card?

    I wish you luck man,
    Ceyko

    x-- Access to over 700 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
    x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

    Ceyko, Jun 28, 2003
  8. Deckhead

    bp Guest

    Christ what's with all the bad advice ?
    Dude return the card I'll bet you the replacement works fine.

    bp, Jun 28, 2003
  9. Deckhead

    Deckhead Guest

    Thanks to all for suggestions, but I now believe BP is right. I tried
    hooking up to 400W PSU, but still no changes. I even disconnected the
    power cord to the card and even the message telling me it was not
    connected was garbled. It is not my System board because my old card
    boots up fine. I guess I need to return my card. Getting a pro
    anyways.

    Deck

    Deckhead, Jun 28, 2003
  10. Deckhead