End of "Two IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads over a wireless network"?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Alan, Feb 25, 2007.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi, some of you may remember the problems I have been experiencing
    when having two IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads connected to a wireless network
    (see http://groups.google.com/group/comp...282b74/2f65f8f1d7cb93e3?tvc=1&q=X41+Alan+T42p).
    If those problems were not enough, one of my laptops' motherboard died
    on me! I have just got that laptop back on Friday.

    This means that I have been spending more or less the whole of
    yesterday and a bit of today playing with my 2 ThinkPads, modem/
    router, network printer and network hard drive trying to get them to
    work on my wireless network. Here is the procedure I followed:

    1. Tools|System: reset the modem/router's settings to their factory
    defaults, and disconnected the network printer and hard drive. ===> OK
    2. Home|WAN: entered my login and password to access my ISP. ===> OK
    3. Tools|Admin: entered a new admin password and web port. ===> OK
    4. Home|Wireless: set the SSID to something meaningful to me, and set
    the security to WPA/PSK String and entered a string. ===> NOK (?!)
    5. Reverted to #3 and Home|Wireless: set the SSID to something
    meaningful to me. ===> OK (!!)
    6. Reset the security to WPA/PSK String and entered a string. ===> NOK
    (?!)

    So, it would seem that, somehow, there is a problem with WPA
    security...

    7. Reverted to #3 and Home|Wireless: set the SSID to something
    meaningful to me, and set the security to WEP and entered a 13-
    character string. ===> OK

    Ok, I guess that is it. For whatever reason, my modem/router doesn't
    like WPA security. Some of you may remember that I have a third laptop
    (that has now been retired) that I have used once in a while when
    trying to figure out what was wrong with my two ThinkPad laptops. At
    the time, I could get either of the two ThinkPads to work with the
    third laptop, while the two ThinkPads wouldn't work together (the
    wireless connection would just drop, whatever I mean by that). Now, I
    think I know the reason: whenever I was connecting the two ThinkPads,
    I was using WPA, while if I was trying the third laptop, I would use
    WEP (since that third laptop wouldn't work with WPA). I guess I just
    didn't expect WPA not to work properly.
    Indeed, I then:

    8. Advanced|Wireless Management: enabled the access list and added the
    two ThinkPads' MAC address to it. ===> OK
    9. Home|DHCP: added some MAC addresses / IP addresses to the DHCP
    server. ===> OK
    10. Home|DHCP: added the network printer's MAC address / IP address to
    the DHCP server. ===> OK
    11. Home|DHCP: added the network hard drive's MAC address / IP address
    to the DHCP server. ===> OK
    12. Home|DHCP: increased the lease to its maximum possible value (i.e.
    999,999 s). ===> OK
    13. Advanced|Firewall: enabled all the settings. ===> OK

    Settings #8-13 seemed to be OK, but somehow at some point it just
    became NOK (!!). So, I reverted a bit:

    14. Reverted to #7+ #12 + #13. ===> OK
    15. Added #9. ===> OK
    16. Added #10 and #11 + Home|DHCP: added the laptop's Ethernet Card's
    MAC address / IP address to the DHCP server. ===> OK
    17. Home|Wireless: set the security to WPA/PSK String and entered a
    string. ===> OK
    18. Added #8. ===> OK

    So, yes, I have implemented all the settings that I wanted (incl. WPA
    security) and everything seems to be working fine with the two
    ThinkPads currently on my wireless network, accessing the Internet
    without any problem (I am writing this from one of the two ThinkPads).

    I am completely bewildered, because I haven't done anything different
    from what I had done in the past. The only thing that was different,
    if anything, was the order in which I implemented the settings (as has
    been the case here too, e.g. #8-#13 and then #14-#18), but surely that
    shouldn't matter? I just don't understand and this is really annoying
    me, but I guess I shouldn't care since I have eventually managed to
    get my two ThinkPads to work together on the same wireless network.
    After all, that's what I wanted...

    I am now hoping that this won't break again... for whatever reason...

    Alan.

    PS: thanks to those who helped me in some way or another at some point
    or another...
    PPS: while in the process of posting this message, I lost my wireless
    connection (my system told me that I had limited access, etc.). I
    tried to run a VBScript that supposedly fix DHCP problems (http://
    wireless.wikia.com/wiki/FixDHCP_script), but to no avail. I had to
    disconnect from my wireless network and reconnect to get Internet
    access again. Weird! :(

    Alan, Feb 25, 2007

  2. Alan

    Alan Guest

    I have since then reverted to WEP secutiry and re-disabled the access
    list and I know seem to have a stable wireless network (both ThinkPads
    have been connected on it for 10s of minutes without a problem).

    I am amazed at how sensitive this modem/router (D-Link DSL-G624T)
    is... :(

    Alan, Feb 25, 2007