Enjoy your films to the max ! (Tip how to get dolby 5.1 surround sound working with X-Fi soundblaste

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Skybuck Flying, Sep 9, 2007.

  1. Hello,

    Tonight I watched Aliens Special Edition DVD.

    I was just happy to view this excellent film, with excellent video quality
    and pretty good 3.1 surround sound.

    However I have a 7.1 surround sound system and I noticed how Nero Show 2
    complained about not being able to play dolby 5.1 surround sound because of
    a patent issue.

    It turns out one needs to download a dolby surround sound 5.1 plug in, but
    that's not all !

    This cool film has a dvd menu and it has a thx optimizer which plays a
    surround sound sample for each speaker and I noticed it didn't sound
    properly.

    So first I tried different speaker combinations in Nero Showtime 2, but it
    didn't really fix the problem.

    It turns out my Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 surround sound blaster has
    a special THX Setup Console.

    The speakerset options where set to 2 speakers.

    So I set this to 7.1 speakers. This made the sound sound a bit more surround
    sound but still did not fix it completely.

    Finally I set Nero Showtime 2 to SPDIF (whatever that is, I'll check it out
    later) (instead of 6 speakers), and SPDIF fixed the problem and all samples
    sounded correctly, each for each speaker, so that fixed the problem ! and
    then I listened to some scenes in the film and there are definetly surround
    sound sample to be heard in the film, so it definetly increases the audio
    quality.

    So here is my short tutorial how to enjoy this film to the max and possible
    other films as well:

    1. Download dolby 5.1 surround sound plug-in.

    2. Install it.

    3. Configure the THX Setup Console for your Creative X-Fi soundblaster. Set
    it to 7.1 speakers.

    4. Configure Nero ShowTime to use SPDIF.

    5. Set the movie to dolby surround sound (probably automatic).

    6. Use the movie's THX Optimizer to check if everything is working ok, which
    it now should =D

    7. Then enjoy the film to it's max.

    I wish I had known this upfront because then I could have heard all of it...
    now I am NOT gonna watch the film again because that would take too long.
    But someday I might listen it again... it was fun to hear the surround sound
    in action though... pretty cool... 3.1 sound was pretty good as well.

    Anyway now at least future films will hopefully play properly.

    I rarely view films on my pc... so this is just a hint to other people who
    might come across this thread.

    Configure your dvd player/software/system properly... because it can
    definetly work in surround sound ! =D

    (First time I probably heard dolby 5.1... I thought it might work
    automatically or not at all so I didn't bother... but now I know better :))

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 9, 2007

  2. Also the mentioned film does seem to have some sound issue's (reported by
    others as well back in 1999 or so ?! :) ;))

    The first few chapters sound "weak".

    The voices are weak.

    I solved this little issue by increasing the "wave" volume in the audio
    control panel of windows.

    So this film is kinda old, has some sound problems, so in no way it's
    probably representive of the best quality.

    Later the sound is pretty good so I enjoyed anyway ! ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 9, 2007

  3. Skybuck Flying

    David Vair Guest

    WOW, soundcard tips in a videocard newsgroup. Why don't you go TROLL some place else.

    David Vair, Sep 9, 2007
  4. I see many posts in this newsgroup about movie/player related problems,
    drivers issue's etc.

    People might overlook sound issue's and focus on video issue's only ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 9, 2007
  5. * David Vair:
    Because he has an IQ at the level of an average office plant.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Sep 9, 2007
  6. Hmm.

    At least I understand movies need many things to play hahahahaha.

    My IQ must therefore be higher than yours LOL.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 9, 2007
  7. Skybuck Flying

    David Vair Guest

    Yet, it is not high enough to figure out how to properly post in a USENET Newsgroup.

    David Vair, Sep 9, 2007
  8. Skybuck Flying

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    Skybuck, why don't you get some free blogging software and write your
    own blog about your tech experiences:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog_hosting_service

    Your posts are not in the spirit or topic of this NG, which you
    carelessly cross post.

    If you truly want to share information with the world, use a blog, an
    on-line diary. Otherwise people might think you are purposely breaking
    the polite rules of usenet for your own selfish reasons. Is that what
    you want people to think of you?

    Mr.E Solved!, Sep 9, 2007
  9. * Skybuck Flying:
    Yeah, "hahahahah". You're as funny and entertaining as a piece of shit.
    Logic isn't obviously your strongest point. Time for you dumbfuck to
    return to the Kindergarten.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Sep 9, 2007
  10. * David Vair:
    SkyFuck is the UseNet equivalent of Dutch drivers on German highways.
    They have no clue how to drive correctly but show reckless behavior.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Sep 9, 2007
  11. Let me paint a nice picture for you:

    8======>>>
    8=======>>>>>>>>
    8====>>>>>

    LOL.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 9, 2007
  12. * Skybuck Flying:
    What's that? A Dutch forrest? Or should that be the goats that you
    regularly give an assfuck?
    Yeah, whatever.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Sep 9, 2007
  13. Skybuck Flying

    JAD Guest

    "Your ignorance is only exceeded by your desire to express it"
    You and Jane Doe, ,the mental midget twins

    JAD, Sep 9, 2007
  14. Skybuck Flying

    Conor Guest

    Hardly. Those of us with a decent IQ use proper AV gear, not a PC.

    Conor, Sep 10, 2007