Entourage newsreading grinds to a halt. Seen this?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Henry, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Henry

    Henry Guest

    Folks:

    I've noticed in the past few days that reading newsgroups has been
    difficult in Entourage --lots of "reading" delays-- and today ground to a
    halt: no group would read, all timed out.

    Rebooting OS X fixed the problem -- not something I should have to do,
    clearly.

    No reason to believe Entourage has changed. This version has worked with
    very few glitches as a newsreader for months, maybe years now. Not the
    server, as the problem occurred with two different servers.

    Memory leak, maybe? I haven't seen anything suspicious in "top" -- except
    that this morning when I woke up OS X, "top" and "terminal" were crashed.

    Could be anything -- this is early in the problem-solving cycle. I'm just
    curious if anyone else has seen this symptom.

    Thanks,

    Henry

    remove 'zzz' antispm

    Henry, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Henry

    Henry Guest

    John:

    Thanks for your reply to my post:

    Hmmm, ok, that's interesting. Never heard of that.
    Right, of course -- I've done that fairly recently, in the past two months.
    Should not affect newsgroups. Does anyone have any kind of metric on how
    often "from time to time" really needs to be?
    Yes, that would do it!

    I bought OmniDiskSweeper with just such an issue in mind...to find files
    that are much larger than they should be. But I've neglected to run it
    sufficiently.

    Hmmm, my Documents folder is 1.8GB, which is about 1.0GB bigger than it
    should be. I guess I can dump "old Database" out of my main identity.

    The newsgroups cache file is a reasonable size, _after_ I cleaned it.
    I knew about rebuilding the email database, but not the newsgroup cache. No
    problem!

    Thanks,

    Henry

    remove 'zzz' antispam