    Does anyone has a piece of advice?

    Cheers
    LV

    StarEye, Mar 8, 2007

  2. I'm a Windows convert, too, and I've tried all three of the apps you mention.
    I began with Mail, went to Entourage, followed by Thunderbird and I'm now
    back to Mail and finding it capable of all my needs. (This being a very
    subjective concept.)

    One thing I like about the native Mac apps -- Mail and Safari -- is that
    they're much faster than, say Thunderbird and Foxfire.

    What is it about Mail that you find too basic, or lacking? It might just be
    your newness to the program.

    Joey DoWop Dee, Mar 8, 2007

  3. StarEye

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    I was thinking that too. I've tried them all myself, including Eudora.
    But I always end up back at Mail. It does just work, and I can't think
    of anything it doesn't do for me. Not to mention the integration with
    things like Address Book, the system spell checker, and other apps too,
    like iPhoto for example.

    Andy Hewitt, Mar 8, 2007
  4. The one thing I did have problems with in Mail was its spam filtering, which
    didn't seem to work well for me. I downloaded the SpamSieve demo
    (recommended here I think) and it is brilliant, so I went ahead and bought
    it. After a couple of days of training , I have hardly had a false result.

    Sally Thompson, Mar 8, 2007
  5. StarEye

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    I found mine works fine, but I have been training it since Mail was
    first released :). It also works with the very fine spam filter in
    Googlemail.

    Andy Hewitt, Mar 8, 2007
  6. Exactly, the integration is great. Also, for me, syncing my Treo with
    Entourage was a disaster; with Mail, iCal and Address Book (with Missing Sync
    installed) it's seamless and accurate. If that's of any use to you, OP.

    Joey DoWop Dee, Mar 8, 2007
  7. StarEye

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    And if you can justify the cost of .Mac, you get excellent integration
    with backing up your user data, and syncing data between different Macs
    too (handy if you have a desktop and a Book).

    I have yet to find anything that covers integration with syncing like
    the Apple setup does.

    Andy Hewitt, Mar 8, 2007
  8. StarEye

    Davoud Guest

    Yes. Entourage. Based on Outlook. Absolutely stable, excellent
    filtering, feature-rich but not overburdened, easy to get used to and
    like.

    Davoud

    Davoud, Mar 8, 2007
  9. StarEye

    StarEye Guest

    Sorry for the easy question, but the thing that I find difficult to
    setup in Entourage is delivering mail from different accounts to
    different inboxes.
    Do you use multiple identities for that? (an identity for each
    different account?)

    cheers
    LV

    StarEye, Mar 9, 2007
  10. StarEye

    Beyonder Guest

    Sorry for the easy question, but the thing that I find difficult to
    You just set up new accounts for each in Entourage - each should have it's
    own folder structure ... (works for my private mail, work, and two hotmail
    accounts)

    Beyonder, Mar 9, 2007
  11. StarEye

    Beth Guest

    I found Eudora more stable than Mail. I used it on my iMac G3 and when
    I got my ibook and used Mail.app for two months I went back and got
    Eudora. I like it forv it's stablity and it keeps my password. I had
    to keep putting in my user and password in Mail.app, it kept
    forgetting it even using Keychain.

    Beth, Mar 10, 2007
  12. StarEye

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    That's a known issue in Mail. It's not actually forgetting your username
    and password, it happens when an error occurs at the server. All you
    need to do is close the alert box, and reconnect.

    Andy Hewitt, Mar 10, 2007
  13. StarEye

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Understood. In fact, it's one of the annoying things I found in Eudora.
    Should you actually need to update your password, it's a real pain, 'cos
    it doesn't seem to ever ask - even with errors.

    Andy Hewitt, Mar 10, 2007
  14. StarEye

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Yes, it seemed a pain at first with Mail, but I really cannot find a
    reason not to like it.

    I almost moved over to Thunderbird at one point, but it's inability to
    handle multiple signatures meant it was useless to me.

    Andy Hewitt, Mar 10, 2007
  15. StarEye

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Oh indeed, I can easily see where a serious power user wouldn't find
    Mail suitable for their needs. But Mail is aimed at the average
    consumer, not the business user.
    Of course, although you can gain screen space equally easy in Mail too
    - you can drag the list pane up, or you can simply open the message in
    a separate window.

    Losing the headers while I'm reading a message just isn't an issue for
    me.

    Andy Hewitt, Mar 10, 2007
  16. StarEye

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Indeed, but it's whether it matters or not that's important.

    Andy Hewitt, Mar 10, 2007
  17. I didn't like the fact that the headers weren't always visible in mail,
    too. But I quickly realized that I rarely look at the headers after the
    first read.

    One thing I do not like about mail is that if you read a message in its
    own window (as opposed to reading it in the bottom pane of the message
    viewer window), there is no easy way to go to the next message without
    deleting it or closing its window and then opening the next message.

    Claris Emailer (to use one example) had navigation tools (with keyboard
    shortcuts) to move from message to message--with or without
    deleting--without having to go back to the message list.

    Michelle Steiner, Mar 10, 2007
  18. StarEye

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Of course it does!

    Andy Hewitt, Mar 10, 2007
  19. StarEye

    Tim McNamara Guest

    The kludgy workarounds are to have Mail thread messages and open the
    entire thread at once, using Cmd-W to close messages and see the next
    one; you can also select multiple messages, open them all at once and
    close them serially.

    The couple niggling things about Mail I've never liked is not using the
    spacebar to page through messages and on to the next message, and that
    Mail closes the original message window when you reply to a message.
    Otherwise I find Mail to be every good and its spam-filtering to be
    excellent- better than the server-side spam filtering my ISP does.
    Image spam is better handled by Mail, for one.

    Tim McNamara, Mar 10, 2007
  20. StarEye

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Just interest really, but what would you need to look at in a header,
    while reading the body of a message?
    Only if they are something you use. I never use a separate window view
    in Mail, I have enough screen space to use the three pane view without
    any issues.
    I agree, Claris Emailer was my default mailer up to OS 9 as well.
    However, you are comparing Mail to Entourage, which are in different
    markets. Mail is a consumer based mail client, that is included with the
    OS. Entourage is a commercial mail client, that also integrates with an
    office suite that costs, what $400 or so (depending on where you are).
    You should really be comparing Mail to Outlook Express, if you're going
    to get critical about the features.

    Andy Hewitt, Mar 10, 2007