EP-4PEA+ SATA RAID 0 and Highpoint RAID

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Terry Moffitt, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. Does anyone know if it's possible to have BOTH the SiliconImage AND
    Highpoint enabled, with drives on each, but boot to the SATA drives ?

    I've currently got two 74 GB Western Digital Raptor SATA drives in RAID 0 on
    the SiliconImage RAID, with Windows XP installed and working fine. The
    Highpoint one was enabled but no drives were connected. Then I connected 3
    of my old drives (2 x 45 GB and a 60 GB) to the Highpoint IDE sockets and
    booted, but it wouldn't boot to the SATA drives. It appears to try to boot
    to one of the drives on the Highpoint controller instead. If I do CTRL-H to
    go into the Highpoint BIOS, it shows one of the drives as being the BOOT
    disk. If I change it so none are the boot disk and reboot, it just does the
    same thing and the first of the 3 disks on the Highpoint controller shows up
    again as being a boot disk. It's as if it's not correctly saving the
    change.

    I had a look in the motherboard BIOS, but there's no option to boot from
    SATA, just SCSI and the other usual ones (CDROM, floppy, etc). It looks
    like the Highpoint controller is getting higher precedence over the
    SiliconImage SATA one - which is the opposite of what I want.

    When I initially set up the system and installed Windows XP, it asked for a
    RAID controller disk and I just used the SiliconImage one - since I wasn't
    installing any drives on the Highpoint one at that stage. But surely that
    shouldn't matter if I'm just trying to boot from the SATA one ?

    Any ideas anyone ?

    Cheers,

    Terry (remove 'removethisbit' from email address if emailing me)

    Terry Moffitt, Feb 22, 2006

  2. Terry Moffitt

    Paul Guest

    I read an interesting article in a magazine the other day about motherboard
    RAID and XP software RAID. They called motherboard RAID FakeRaid as the
    processing is done by your CPU via the device driver while REAL RAID is a
    self contained box with a special hardware controller. Sooooo the conclusion
    was you might as well use XP software RAID with the added advantage being
    that your disks are no longer tied to a specific raid
    controller/motherboard. It would actually be possible to lift the disks out
    put them in another box and windows would boot. Not possible with
    motherboard RAID

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 23, 2006

  3. Terry Moffitt

    Mavra Chang Guest

    Terry,

    There ought to be an option in Advanced Bios Features. It should be right
    under Standard Bios. In there is hard drive boot priority. Your Raid drives
    should show up as a single named drive in there (maybe), but at any rate the
    drive that's booting first can be moved down by hitting the minus key. Or
    use the plus key to move the drive you want to boot first up to the top.
    Then esc and save as usual. It's also a bothersome but safe way to run dual
    OSs without a shared boot file.

    mc
    - Black holes are where God divided by zero.

    Mavra Chang, Mar 1, 2006