    rounded on the top (not flat like the others). In fact one of them has some
    CORROSION on it. Should I be worried? Its been loke this for awhile.

    Hugh

    F Sutherland, Jun 7, 2005

  2. F Sutherland

    DaveL Guest

    I have two of these boards and both have bulging caps. They still work fine
    but I can't overclock much without lockups. I'll just use them like this
    for now. When they can no longer work then I'll upgrade to A64. BTW the
    corrosion is the electrolite leaking out.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Jun 7, 2005

  3. F Sutherland

    at Guest

    Yes, you should be worried. The bulging and what looks like
    corrosion are signs that the capacitors are failing. If your board is
    still under warranty (check the EPoX website), EPoX will repair/replace it
    for the cost of your shipping it to them. I did this with my wife's 8RDA+
    this winter, got the board back in about 3 weeks or so.

    Scott

    at, Jun 7, 2005
  4. F Sutherland

    ROEKing Guest

    It's time to replace the board. I had the same problem with a BIOStar
    Mobo. It is a ticking time bomb, I guarantee you that.

    BTW: the corrosion is the electrolyte that has leaked out of the
    capacitor and dried out.

    check this out:

    http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Feb/bch20030207018535.htm

    I has pissed off when it happend to me (it was the board in my
    server). I got even more upset after BIOStar refused to warranty the
    board without an invoice. I explained to them the board was just
    under 2 years old and the computer store I bought it at was no longer
    in business.... oh well. I won't be buying any more BIOStar boards...

    I have been buying Epox ever since... (and have been happy)

    Hope this helps...

    Good luck.

    RoeKing
    MCSE on Windows NT, MCSE on Winodws 2000

    ROEKing, Jun 21, 2005
  5. F Sutherland

    cheung Guest

    If it's not in warranty or you want to DIY, replace the capacitors by
    yourselves.

    cheung, Aug 21, 2005
  6. F Sutherland

    DaveL Guest

    I have two 8RDA+ boards and both have bulging and leaking caps but they
    still refuse to malfunction. I've decided to not replace the caps. I will
    wait until the boards begin to malfunction and then make the jump to
    Athlon64 type systems. This might take a while.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Aug 21, 2005
  7. F Sutherland

    Graham W Guest

    But not as much as you'd like, Dave.

    My 8RDA+ is malfunctioning now and it is only just out of warranty.
    Inspection reveals that there are at least half a dozen leaky caps
    and the XP2500M+ no nonger runs at 1.4 volts reliably.

    Graham W, Aug 23, 2005
  8. F Sutherland

    Windmolen Guest

    Epox in The Netherlands fixed my mobo for 10 euro's. It was way out of
    warranty. Great service don't you think?

    Jan

    Windmolen, Aug 23, 2005
  9. F Sutherland

    Graham W Guest

    Did that include return postage, Jan?

    I need to minimise the downtime to half a day so I'm looking for another
    8RDA+ board dead or alive that I can service myself.

    Graham W, Aug 28, 2005
  10. F Sutherland

    Windmolen Guest

    Windmolen, Aug 29, 2005
  11. F Sutherland

    Graham W Guest

    Hmm, I wonder if that would apply to UK. Aren't you in .nl or .de?

    Graham W, Aug 30, 2005
  12. F Sutherland

    Windmolen Guest

    NL.

    Jan

    Windmolen, Aug 31, 2005
  13. F Sutherland

    Graham W Guest

    Thanks Jan.

    I'm on a new approach now - to try and acquire a working OR 'BROKEN'
    8RDA+ and replace the capacitors and then swap it out with the current
    one. Then I could replace the caps on the one I remove and sell it on. To
    do this means I would need to be sure of getting the I/O shield together
    with the USB/Firewire/Game port slot covers (brackets) and cables.

    So, if anyone has at least the 8RDA+ mainboard, my Reply address works!

    Thanks

    Graham W, Aug 31, 2005
  14. F Sutherland

    ROEKing Guest

    Good luck finding one. Try ebay ?

    Replacing the caps really is not that bad.. The hardest part is
    getting the old ones out. Which caps went bad on you ? Filter caps
    by the ram, or where they VRM caps (the big ones next to the cpu) ?

    Recently, I bought a used Abit (KT-7a) board off of someone on ebay,
    installed it, fired it up and it ran for about 10 seconds until I
    heard a loud pop.

    Guess what ? A filter cap blew... (one that was next to the ram
    banks). I looked around and found a place locally that had the right
    caps for sale. I bought 4 of them for a dollar. I then went ahead
    and replaced all 4 caps that were in the area.

    If you can't get caps locally, try www.partsexpress.com or
    http://www.debcoelectronics.com/

    Good luck !

    ROEKing, Sep 5, 2005
  15. F Sutherland

    DaveL Guest

    Well, my luck finally ran out. My faithful old 8RDA+ with the popping caps
    finally started acting up. It got to where it did not want to boot up. I
    would have to turn it on then hit the reset button repeatedly before it
    would boot. It looked like the chipset voltage was dropping out.

    I know I told you all that I would upgrade insteaded of fixing it, but when
    it finally came to it I could not part with my good buddy. I ordered about
    $12 worth of caps (enough to do two boards) from Mouser. After two hours
    from start to finish, it's done. Works perfectly now. I replace all of the
    green caps ( 4 ea 2200uf, 5 ea 1500uf and 9 ea of the 1000 uf ), they were
    the ones that were popping. The original black ones were ok so I left them
    in.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Sep 21, 2005
  16. F Sutherland

    Graham W Guest

    Thanks for the report, Dave. Mine is doing the same thing exactly.

    I looked round Ebay yesterday and found a bargain! It was an
    8RDA+ V2.2 with the gold square northbridge H/S rather than
    the round ally one. It was sold as refurbished and looks like an
    original factory one. There's not a fraction of flux on it anywhere
    and the mounting holes have no marks on them. The six caps
    next to the CPU are now 3300uF @ 6.3v, btw.

    I'm just getting some documentation done on it (scans etc) so I
    can form a caps buying list to send to my buddy in the states to try
    and buy for me. I haven't yet found a UK single source that keeps
    what I want. Digikey price stuff in GBP but orders less than 180US$
    are surcharged 18US$ and then postage to UK is 20US$ !
    Puts it out of reach really.

    Graham W, Sep 21, 2005
  17. F Sutherland

    DaveL Guest

    Did you check out www.mouser.com ? They do ship international and they have
    a cool website for looking up parts, better than Digikey. The six caps next
    to the cpu on my board were fine. I did not have to replace them. It was
    only the green caps ( ECG) that were bad. The hardest part of the job was
    getting the old solder out of the holes. I have over 20 years experience
    soldering and I was struggling. I was using an 18 watt soldering iron with
    a chisel tip and an old and worn solder sucker. I tried using solder braid
    but it was no help. If you have a real nice desoldering station then you
    are set. I could have used a needle tip for my iron, it would have worked
    better. This is why it took me two hours.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Sep 22, 2005