    for it. My friend always had an 80GB drive on it, and it doesn't state in
    the manual whether it can support drives over 137.4GB.

    If anyone knows anything, I would be truly grateful for some response.

    Cuzman, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Cuzman

    Philip Cody Guest

    A socket 478 board should support drives bigger than 137.4 gb.

    I was under the impression that this is more a limitation of the OS on newer
    boards. I know that WinXP (before service packs) does not support drives
    bigger than 137.4 gb. I just did a new install of XP on a 160gb HD and it
    only saw 137.4 gb. I had to go in after installing and then installed SP2
    and then use partition program to fix.

    If you have XP CD with SP1 or SP2 it should see the larger drive.

    If you are just moving stuff from from 80gb drive over and he has SP1 or 2
    installed he should be ok.

    Hope this helps.

    Philip Cody, Mar 11, 2005