    I'm finding the results of "Driver download AHCI" confusing.

    Anybody been here?

    Can I get past this without rebuilding the system?

    (PeteCresswell), Sep 18, 2010

  2. Per (PeteCresswell):
    I think I'm on to something with
    "HOW TO switch from IDE to AHCI mode without having to reinstall
    Win XP (GUIDE)"
    http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?action=printpage;topic=106575.0

    Barring that, it sounds like careful choice of the right SATA
    card would be the path of least resistance.

    (PeteCresswell), Sep 18, 2010

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    andy Guest

    1. Enable Gigabyte SATA2 interface in bios.
    2. Boot to Windows XP.
    3. Install Windows driver for Gigabyte SATA2 interface.
    4. Connect hard drive to Gigabyte SATA2 interface.
    5. Enable AHCI mode for Intel ICH10 SATA interface in Bios.
    6. Boot to Windows XP.
    7. Install Intel RAID/AHCI driver for ICH10 SATA interface.
    8. Connect hard drive back to Intel ICH10 SATA interface.
    9. Disable Gigabyte SATA2 interface in bios if desired.
    10. Boot to Windows XP.

    andy, Sep 18, 2010
  4. Per (PeteCresswell):
    The problem seems tb finding the proper driver.

    I've tried a couple, but keep getting messages to the effect that
    I have the wrong mobo for that driver.

    EP45-UD3L.

    The one that looks like it *should* be the right one comes down
    as "motherboard_driver_sata_gb_sata2raid_ep45.exe". But at
    execution time, it's a no-go.

    (PeteCresswell), Sep 18, 2010
  5. Per andy:
    Anybody know where to get that driver - or at least exactly what
    it is called? I've tried a number of downloads for the AHCI
    driver and keep getting ones that say I've got the wrong board.

    I'm guessing that once the driver is installed, the mobo
    connectors (interfaces?) just hook up to the SAT2 driver, right?
    i.e. there is no separate SATA2 interface? - unless it's a matter
    of identifying which controller the SATA2 driver is affecting.

    I seem to have two:

    - Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage
    Controller 2 - 3A26

    - Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage
    Controller 1 - #A20

    (listed in that order in Device Manager

    Ditto #3 on the driver sources.

    (PeteCresswell), Sep 18, 2010
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    According to the manual here, there are six SATA ports, and
    they're all on the Intel Southbridge. The separate Jmicron chip is
    a JMB368 for IDE ribbon cable. The only way you could use that,
    to "bounce" the boot drive to a non-Intel chip, is if you had a SATA
    to IDE adapter dongle, then connect the boot drive to the JMB368.

    http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ep45-ud3l(r)_v1.1_e.pdf

    You currently have the Southbridge in an "IDE compatible" mode, which
    enables four of the six SATA connectors. So at the current time, you're
    likely to find that two of the SATA connectors don't work. Once you change
    the mode of the Southbridge in the BIOS, all six will be able to work.

    To follow Andy's suggestion, you'd need to buy a separate SATA controller
    card, then move the boot drive to that card, long enough to change
    the Intel BIOS setting to AHCI. While some Gigabyte boards have a
    "Gigabyte" (JMicron) SATA controller chip, that board doesn't. The
    Jmicron chip used, is an IDE only ribbon cable chip.

    http://www.jmicron.com/Product_JMB368.htm

    It's either buy a card, or use the msi.com.tw forum recipe.

    This card is based on a Jmicron chip, and would give you a capability
    similar to the recipe Andy was describing. The card has the Jmicron chip,
    plus a boot ROM. A lot of these kinds of controllers, can have different
    code modules you can load in the boot ROM. One might support soft RAID
    operation, the other supporting vanilla SATA disk operation. This card
    looks to support vanilla SATA operation out of the box - at least I
    see no mention of RAID. Always read the customer reviews, to see how
    people succeeded or not, with their purchase. A number of these small
    cards, have one kind of issue or another, so it's a matter of finding
    one with "clean" reviews.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158097

    This card uses a SIL3132. They put one connector inside the computer,
    and one connector on the faceplate.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-340-010-S04?$S640W$

    There are plenty of drivers and boot ROM versions for SIL3132, available here.

    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=32&cat=3

    The only card types I object to, are the cards containing a two port
    chip, with four physical ports to connect to. It uses jumpers, to
    steer one port signals to two connectors, which isn't desirable for
    3Gbit/sec signal routing. I would never buy one of these, no matter
    how tempting it might look. A two port chip, should have two connectors
    on the card.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-280-008-S01?$S640W$

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 18, 2010
  7. (PeteCresswell)

    me/2 Guest

    :>When I enable AHCI in BIOS setup, it provokes a boot loop in
    :>which Windows (SP3) throws a Blue Screen Of Death for about a
    :>tenth of a second and then the boot process starts all over
    :>again.
    :>
    :>Driver issue?
    :>
    :>Somewhere I think I read something to the effect that AHCI had tb
    :>enabled when Windows was first installed. Something with device
    :>detection/driver choice by Windows Setup?
    :>
    :>I'm finding the results of "Driver download AHCI" confusing.
    :>
    :>Anybody been here?
    :>
    :>Can I get past this without rebuilding the system?

    Check out this link:

    How to change from IDE to AHCI after Windows XP installation

    http://blog.mytwocents.it/?p=11

    I used that procedure on a couple of different Gigabyte motherboards,
    including the one you have, and it worked perfectly.

    You do need to read through all the comments as there is some updated info
    there. Also, you have to be comfortable making registry edits.

    I've passed that link on to a number of people with different brands of
    motherboards since I found it last year and they have all had success.

    Good luck,
    me/2

    me/2, Sep 19, 2010
  8. Per me/2:
    Nice work!

    Gives the details where needed.

    Thanks.

    (PeteCresswell), Sep 19, 2010
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    me/2 Guest

    :>Per me/2:
    :>>How to change from IDE to AHCI after Windows XP installation
    :>>
    :>>http://blog.mytwocents.it/?p=11
    :>
    :>Nice work!
    :>
    :>Gives the details where needed.
    :>
    :>Thanks.

    Glad I could be of help. I tore out what little hair I have left dealing
    with that issue last year. After spending many hours searching I finally
    found that page, verified it worked and added it to my bookmarks.

    me/2

    me/2, Sep 20, 2010