EP45-UD3L & SATA Hot-Swapping: Trying To Fool Mother Nature?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by (PeteCresswell), Jan 27, 2011.

  1. I posted this on the GigaByte online forum at
    http://tinyurl.com/4dhbh3f, but it's been 3 days and no nibbles.

    XP install to EP45-UD3L.

    Disabled AHCI.

    Fired up the XP installer DVD.

    Did the F6 thing with a floppy containing the following files:

    - jraid.cat
    - jraid.sys
    - txtsetup.oem
    - xraid_f.inf

    The installer's "You have chosen..." dialog called it "RAID/AHCI
    Driver for GIGABYTE GBB36X Controller (x32)"

    Finished the install, re-booted and set BIOS' AHCI = Enabled
    before the boot.

    XP just barely starts, then a momentary blue screen and re-boot.

    Had to disable AHCI to get XP to load and, of course, my
    front-loading SATA bay doesn't support hot swapping.

    Some months ago, I started a thread about doing it retroactively
    - after XP installed.
    http://hardware.mcse.ms/archive72-2020-10-373746.html

    The advice there was beyond my current pay grade.

    But now that I have to do a rebuild anyhow, I thought maybe there
    was an easy way to enable AHCI.

    Am I trying to fool Mother Nature on this one? Wrong driver
    files? Should I just suck it up and put a SATA card in there?

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 27, 2011

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    andy Guest

    There's only one SATA interface, provided by the Intel ICH10
    southbridge, on the EP45-UD3L motherboard, so if you want hot plug
    capability, you have to enable AHCI and keep it enabled. You must then
    load the Intel AHCI/RAID driver during Windows XP setup (F6).
    The JMicron SATA driver is only for motherboards that have the GSATA
    interface, which the EP45-UD3L does not.

    andy, Jan 29, 2011

  3. (PeteCresswell), Jan 29, 2011
  4. Per (PeteCresswell):
    No joy.

    The file set downloaded was:

    - iaAHCI.cat
    - iaAHCI.inf
    - iaStor.cat
    - iaStor.inf
    - IaStor.sys
    - TXTSETUP.OEM

    The F6 option's dialog lists four different drivers from that
    file set:

    - ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller
    - ICH7DMH SATA RAID Controller
    - ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E/PCHM SATA RAID Controller
    - ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller

    Tried each one, and got a Blue Screen abend after Windows'
    installer had loaded all the drivers.

    viz: http://tinyurl.com/47p9xnc

    Could there be some sort of chicken-egg problem?

    i.e. Windows doesn't do ACHI.Enabled=True without the right
    driver, but Windows has to load before the driver can be used?

    I really don't know why I'm persisting in this - when I can get a
    little SATA card for thirty bucks and do an end run around the
    whole thing.... just stubborn, I guess....

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 29, 2011
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    Paul Guest

    Do you have a Linux LiveCD ? Perhaps using "lshw" or "lspci", you
    can verify that when your motherboard BIOS is set to AHCI, the
    chip is actually set up that way.

    lspci -n

    00:1f.2 0101: 8086:3a20 <--- example of SATA in wrong mode.

    The VEN/DEV values, are listed on page 11 of the Spec Update for ICH10.

    (319974.pdf , Page 11 has the Consumer chip entries, 3A20 and 3A22 are
    possible modes for your SATA, based on the BIOS setting.)

    http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/319974.pdf?wapkw=(319974)

    The Class Code value you see in the iaAHCI.inf file, is defined here.
    CC_0106 seems to be AHCI (and in Intel's case, is part of supporting
    either AHCI or RAID).

    http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/conventional/ECN_SATA_Class_Code.pdf

    So start by verifying the hardware is doing the right thing first.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 29, 2011
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    blero_ Guest

    The file set downloaded was:
    These all come from iaStor.inf. For RAID controllers.

    I guess the one you need is "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller".
    It's in iaAHCI.inf.
    Maybe you didn't notice, but you can scroll down the list to make the
    others drivers appear ?

    blero_, Feb 3, 2011