Epox 8k7a with XP 2400+ running at 2600+!!!

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Todd, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Todd

Todd Guest

Hi all,

Well, I finally took the plunge and put an XP 2400+ in my ancient old 8k7a. It runs great! I have
    also overclocked the front side bus from 133 up to 140, which has convinced the bios to read it as
    an XP 2600+! (This is actually making the cpu run at 2100--15x140--and not the original 1999 MHz.)

Not bad for a two year old board, eh?

My frame rates in Jane's WW2 Fighters have skyrocketed and the XP 2400+ has made it run almost as
    smooth as silk. Though it is more than five years old, this is still a VERY demanding game on every
    part of your system.

My hat is off to Epox for manufacturing such a solid and dependable board.

Todd, Aug 4, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. Todd

MagicUK Guest

yep my first epox board (AMD chipset)! now have the 8rda+ (Nvidia Chipset)
    convinced the bios to read it as

MagicUK, Aug 5, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. Todd

Todd Guest

It looks like I spoke a tad too soon :(

I'm getting random lockups with the 2400+. Anyone else have similar problems with their 8k7a?

Todd, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Todd

Todd Guest

A little more info.

The screen simply freezes. The mouse won't move and ctl-alt-del does absolutely nothing. This is
    strange because I am running WinXP, which is suppose to keep everything in its own memory address
    space. To get it going again I have to hit the reset button and have the machine reboot.

Sometimes the screen freezes if I have been away from the PC for a few hours. I'll come back and the
    monitor won't come out of its sleep mode. So I disabled the monitor sleep mode and the screen then
    just freezes solid all by itself after a few hours.

Any ideas?

Todd, Aug 8, 2003
  5. Todd

SimMike- Guest

If you have hardware problems, Windows XP, or any operating system, will do a
    hard lock just like you describe. Sometimes massive driver problems can cause
    the same type of problems. You might try swapping your PCI cards. I had the same
    type of problem with an SIS chip set mainboard with onboard video. Just would do
    total lockups at random times. Luckily this mainboard had an AGP slot and I was
    able to fix the problem by getting a cheapo ATI Radeon video card.

One thing which I absolutely hate that is sure to send my computer into terminal
    lockup problems is when the computer can't quite read a CD or DVD, say a DVD
    that has a smudge on it. For some reason Windows just can't deal with type of
    problem gracefully and it more or less locks up, sometimes not totally, but
    enough that all the resources are going to the DVD or CD player so you can't do
    anything else. You would think the OS would be smart enough to just give up and
    say disk is unreadable or whatever.

SimMike-, Aug 8, 2003
  6. Todd

John Guest

Are you using a recent nVidia video card? I am having bad experiences with a
    couple of nVidia cards and the detonator ver 44 drivers. All the things you
    describe and more in a couple of units. I have ATI cards on order, that
    seems to be the fix.
    John
    | A little more info.
    |
    | The screen simply freezes. The mouse won't move and ctl-alt-del does
    absolutely nothing. This is
    | strange because I am running WinXP, which is suppose to keep everything in
    its own memory address
    | space. To get it going again I have to hit the reset button and have the
    machine reboot.
    |
    | Sometimes the screen freezes if I have been away from the PC for a few
    hours. I'll come back and the
    | monitor won't come out of its sleep mode. So I disabled the monitor sleep
    mode and the screen then
    | just freezes solid all by itself after a few hours.
    |
    | Any ideas?
    | --
    | Todd
    |
    |

John, Aug 10, 2003
  7. Todd

Todd Guest

Thanks for your reply John.

I am running an ATI Radeon 7200 64 DDR Vivo.

I increased the voltage to the memory by 0.1 volts and that seems to have settled everything down.
    It has been running just fine for a day and a half now, so hopefully the whole system is in harmony
    :)

Todd, Aug 10, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question