Epox 8KRA2+: working in Linux 2.4.22 except ACPI

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Terran Melconian, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. Prior to buying this motherboard, I searched usenet and found some
    reports of problems. However, the only alternative seemed to be an
    n-force board, for which Linux support was even worse, so I decided to
    buy it anyway. I'm happy to report that so far everything I've tried
    has been gotten to work. I'm using Debian 3.0r1, with a custom-compiled
    kernel 2.4.22. The only problem is that ACPI does NOT work, apparently
    due to some ACPI bugs that were introduced in 2.4.21 from what I've
    read. If you enable ACPI, you get strange results like the USB
    controller getting IRQ -19 (yes, negative nineteen) and failing to work.

    All in all I'd give this board (and thus the KT600) a thumbs up for
    Linux. It is a good alternative to "that proprietary nvidia crap". ;)

    Here's a quick summary of the features and drivers:

    Feature Driver Notes/Caveats

    IDE0,1 VIA 82Cxxx Will work without VIA driver, but no DMA
    IDE2,3 HPT366
    USB uhci or usb-uhci Must disable ACPI
    Ethernet via-rhine Must disable ACPI
    Sound via82cxxx_audio Joystick untested

    AGP (untested)
    RAID (untested)
    Serial ATA (untested)
    Firewire (untested)

    I haven't used the Serial ATA interface or the Firewire interface, as I
    have no relevant devices. There is an experimental driver for the RAID
    features of the HighPoint controller (as opposed to simply making the
    drives available as the HPT360/370 driver does), but I have not tested
    it. I also haven't used AGP at all; I'm presently running with a PCI
    video card for unrelated reasons.

    The only reason I haven't tested the joystick/midi port is that I forgot
    to mount it before I closed up the case and I haven't gone back and done
    it yet. If you're really curious, tell me and I'll post the results
    when I get around to it.

    Terran Melconian, Nov 18, 2003

  2. I'm also planning to buy this board. So you got rather stable linux system
    with this mb... What about IDE DMA transfer speeds with these drivers, good
    enough?

    -Marko

    Marko =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Myllym=E4ki?=, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Terran Melconian

    Arno Wagner Guest

    One other thing I forgot: When speed testing the board with
    two Netgear GA320T Gigabit-cards, I got the fastest speed in PCI
    slot 6 (netperf TCP stream). I don't quite remember the numbers,
    but I think Slot 6 was about 25% faster than the slowest ones.
    Likely an interrupt-issue.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Nov 21, 2003