Epox 8KRAI-X and a Mobile Barton ?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by ROEKing, Feb 26, 2005.

  1. ROEKing

    ROEKing Guest

    Excuse my ignoranace, I am new to AMD's as I have always been an Intel
    junkie. However, since the Intel's run so hot, it's time for me to
    look at Athlon's for my next upgrade- my server which sits in a closet
    (literally).

    I just bought a Epox 8KRAI-X motherboard (socket A) to use to upgrade
    my linux server. I'd like to install a *Mobile* Athlon XP 2200 or
    2500 Barton core 266FSB cpu instead of a regular XP Barton core cpu.

    I'd like to take advantage of the Athlon Barton *Mobile* cpu since
    it's 35 Watts (2200) or 45 watts (2500) - Why ? - Because of less
    heat- after all, the server is in a closet. I also like the fact
    that the Barton has a 512K L2 cache.

    Will this work ? Can I lower the cpu voltage on this board in order to
    use one of these two mobile processors ? Will the board recognize it
    as *Mobile* cpu and allow me to use the AMD Powerup technology ?

    If not, will it still work, without POST errors ?

    Should I consider buying a Barton XP 2500 Desktop 55Watt chip and
    "underclock" it ? Epox supports says the mobile cpu is "not support"-
    this sounds like a smoke screen to me (i.e. BS).

    Has anyone else attempted this ?

    Thanks in advance !!!!

    ROEKing, Feb 26, 2005

  2. ROEKing

    Wes Newell Guest

    To be safe, this is what I'd do. There's really no difference between the
    cores of the desktop and mobile XP's. Just lower FSB to 100 or 133MHz and
    then drop vcore as low as you can go and then still be stable. if the MB
    doesn't support vcore settings you can always lower the default on the cpu
    or use the socket pinmod.

    OTOH, if you get a mobile, you could use powernow-k7 and cpufreqd in linux
    for auto scaling the cpu as long as this board doesn't use the nforce
    chipset which doesn't supprt powernow I'm told. This way will probably
    require a lot more time on your part setting up the software. Don't know
    which linux version you have and if it's not a newer kernel you may end up
    having to also upgrade that too. And that can always turn on you if you
    aren't careful.

    Wes Newell, Feb 26, 2005

  3. ROEKing

    ROEKing Guest

    Thanks for the tips !

    Well what happened today was interesting (it's funny how things work
    out)- My daughter's system died. It's locking up hard and after an
    extensive diagnoses, appears to be tied to the cheap mobo I put in it
    last year (it's a Chaintech/Duron 900 combo- it was less than $50
    bucks for the cpu and mobo together- new ! (a heck of a deal)).
    Therefore, I ordered a Barton 2500 xp cpu and some cheap PC-3200 Ram
    for this Epox board I got stuck with (it's a long story), and it will
    go in her system. She's happy since she is now getting upgraded !

    As for my server upgrade, I read about a new mobo on the market by
    AOPEN (Acer) which uses an Intel Pentium 4-M Dothan or Banias cpu.
    After reading the specs on these two gems, I found they dissipate at
    most 25 Watts !!!! (They average 21 watts !!!) At that rate, I may get
    by WITHOUT a cpu fan. I think I found the combo I'm am gonna use in
    the closet server. I think I'll go with the 725M Dothan (which has a
    2mb L2 cache) and AOPEN mobo. It's a little pricier, but saving money
    was not necessarily the objective.

    I have passed the info on to a buddy of mine who was considering the
    same thing- he may yet go with the mobile xp cpu option in a desktop
    board. I'll probably recommend an Asus board to him (even though I
    hate ASUS boards- I have encoutered too many bad ones), since it seems
    many folks have successfully used this combination.

    Thanks !

    ROEKing, Feb 27, 2005
  4. ROEKing

    ROEKing Guest

    Well, I ran the costs, and the Intel solution is DOUBLE the cost.
    Hmmm... Spend $800 bucks vs. $400 bucks ? A no brainer. The server
    I'm upgrading is currently running Red hat 8 with web services,
    ventrilo and that's about it. (Amd-T-Bird 950 on a Biostar mobo- it's
    a *small* heater- the 950 cranks out roughly 50 Watts). On the bright
    side, it's not as bad as my Northwood P4 3.2 (my desktop)- but the
    deskotp is not in a closet.

    Therefore, I did a little research and found that several folks online
    are using two different boards with the Mobile Athlon 2400 (the cpu
    I've decided on - 35 Watts stock !!! {I'll underclock it a little})-
    the Abit KV7 (Via KT-600 chipset) and the Abit NF7-M (Nforce2
    chipset). I'm partial to the via chipset, due to problems I ran into
    in the past with nforce mobos.

    I will couple this with an LSI Raid card (MegaRAID ATA 133-2- Linux
    support included !) and run Raid 1 on two Western digital EIDE 80 GB
    7200rpm drives. As for video, I plan on using a cheap ATI card (if
    one exists). As for the OS, I'll go with Red Hat Fedora Core 3.

    Has anyone out here used a mobile Althon and either of these two
    boards (KV7 or NF7-M) ?

    Thanks in advanced !!!

    ROEKing, Mar 5, 2005
  5. ROEKing

    Wes Newell Guest

    I don't think the Nvidia chipset boards support mobiles (powernow).
    Whether the mobiles will even boot in them I don't know. So go with a SIS
    or VIA board.

    Wes Newell, Mar 5, 2005
  6. ROEKing

    M Arino Guest

    I run my mobile Barton in an nforce2 mobo. I think that in
    www.silentpcreview.com there is a list of undervoltable mobos... mine
    is not (alas) and I am a bit afraid of modding my mobo

    Cheers!

    Miguel

    M Arino, Mar 6, 2005
  7. ROEKing

    ROEKing Guest

    Thanks for the tips ! I went with the Abit KV7- after reading a
    review on Tom's hardware. I also bought (2) SATA drives (I'll use the
    on board RAID), and a Mobile Athlon XP 2200+ 35 Watt CPU.

    http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041001/athlon-underclocking-02.html

    In this article, they turn a regular XP cpu into a mobile XP.
    I also found the mobo listed on silentpc, in the undervoltable mobo's.

    Hopefully, it will work well... We'll see.

    Thanks !!!!

    ROEKing, Mar 12, 2005
  9. ROEKing

    ROEKing Guest

    I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice !

    The hardware arrived, and everything went great.
    I underclocked the mobile XP 2200 cpu and it's now running at
    1300Mhz, pumping out 27Watts. The Abit KV7 mobo cannot figure out
    what kind of cpu is installed due to the weird multiplier and FSB I
    have set, but who cares.... Not bad- I may go further down, when I get
    Fedora configured like I want it. It can't seem to get powerup
    working yet- but I'm not done patching Fedora.

    On a side note- I was a little disappointed in the fact that the
    onboard VIA Raid (VT8237 South Bridge) is really "fake-raid".
    Therefore, I was forced to use the "sata_via" non-RAID driver and
    setup software RAID 1 under FC3, as the driver for FC3 would not see
    the SATA disks as a hardware RAID set.

    Don't be fooled by marketing (I was)- check this out:---->

    http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#via8237

    The number of "fake-raid" chipsets and add-in cards is amazing !

    I had no idea. I work with HP Proliants everyday that have real
    hardware RAID and just assumed that all built-in RAID support chipsets
    were real Hardware RAID. (A mistake) I was also amazed to find out the
    number of reputable companies selling "fake-raid" boards (such as
    Adaptec, Promise, etc.).

    Go figure !

    Thanks !!!!

    ROEKing, Mar 12, 2005
  10. ROEKing

    Wes Newell Guest

    I never used powernow for K7, but with powernow-k8, you have to use the
    default voltage or it doesn't work. On mine the default is 1.5v, and at
    the lowest pn setting it's 1.3v and 800MHz with a normal speed of 2000MHz.
    I use cpufreqd that automatically steps it from 800@1.3v to 1800@1.4v to
    2000MHz@1.5v depending on load.
    I think all onboard raids or like this. There's only a few IDE none OS
    specific real hardware raid units last time I looked.

    Wes Newell, Mar 12, 2005