Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra /AMD 3700+ San Diego lock ups

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Tau, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. Tau

    Tau Guest

    Greetings,

    I recently assembled a new system with the following parts:
    1) Epox EP-9NPA+ Ultra motherboard
    2) Coolmax 550W power supply
    3) AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego, 939 socket
    4) Corsar 1Gb RAM, latency 2
    5) Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 300Gb
    6) ATI Saphire x800GTO

    All mobo and video settings are at default, no overclocking.

    Then, I installed WinXP Pro. First of all, the HDD was recognized as
    130Gb by Windows (300Gb by BIOS), then I installed SP2 and got the rest
    of the HDD space under WinXP.
    After about 1 day I started to experience system lock ups for 1-10
    seconds, every thing was freezed for 1-10 seconds (HDD light is ON),
    even mouse, then it was working fine. I checked the CPU temperature, it
    was 31C.
    After another 7 days, during booting, it was freezing on detecting HDD,
    or during Windows booting progress bar. The temperature is normal, no
    hardware malfunction I can see...
    I just wonder, what can it be? Can it be the HDD? Is it too big?
    How can I solve this lockups?

    Thank you!

    Tau, Oct 26, 2005

  2. Tau

    DaveL Guest

    It was SP2 that allowed larger than 130GB drives. That's normal. If you
    want 300GB right off the bat then get an SP2 version of XP disk or slip
    stream your own.
    To check your hard drive you should download the hard drive manufacturer's
    utility and run the tests.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Oct 26, 2005