EPP Cost vs. Coupon Cost?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Boris, Jul 22, 2006.

  1. Boris

    Boris Guest

    Using my EPP (Employee Purchase Program) ID, I can get the following
    configuration for $829 (add $68 tax and $8 environmental fee, free
    shipping = $905 delivered). I've been looking at the coupon sites,
    such a notebookreviews.com, but this still seems to be the best deal
    with my EPP. I'd like to to delete the TrueLife, but all display
    options included it. Is there a way to delete the TrueLife; do I have
    to call to do this?

    I'd remove the 15-month security package, but can't seen to do that,
    either.

    I would also add the integrated SB audio ($25)

    The machine would be get light use; email, browsing, occasional CD
    burning, viewing DVD. I've looked at the solo processors and the
    Pentium Ms, but they cost about as much as this configuration.

    For those of you that have used your company's EPP, do you find it to
    be better than using the coupons that can be found?

    SYSTEM COMPONENTS

    E1505 Dual Core Qty 1
    Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2050 (1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache),
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Unit Price $1,401.00

    Dell EPP/FSS Customers: Save $500 off select Inspiron systems!
    Limited Time Offer!
    - $500.00

    Catalog Number: 23 A4677BTS2
    Module Description Show Details
    Inspiron E1505 Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2050 (1.60GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB
    L2 Cache)
    Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP
    LCD Panel 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™
    Memory 1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
    Video Card 128MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1300 HyperMemory™
    Hard Drive 60GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
    Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
    Combo/DVD+RW Drives 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
    Sound Options Integrated Audio
    Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 Internal Wireless
    Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) No productivity suite-
    Corel WordPerfect word processor only
    Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) McAfee Security Center with
    VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months
    Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    Hardware Warranty 3Yr Ltd Warr,At-Home Service,and HW Warr Support plus
    Nights and Weekends
    Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
    Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable
    Operating System Re-Installation CD PC Restore recovery system by
    Symantec
    Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital
    Music, Photo and Game experience

    TOTAL:$901.00
    LESS: 78.08 (Receive 8% off systems priced $800 to $1600 with 3/4yr
    At-Home service.
    Total: $828.92

    Boris, Jul 22, 2006

  2. Boris

    Jay B Guest

    coupons and EPP are just 2 different avenues for dell to use their
    ingenious marketing to make more money. both can give good deals, or
    bad deals.
    in your case, a bad deal.
    i wouldnt pay $850+ for that config, way over priced. i buy those now
    closer to $650-700 on sale. you have to wait for your configuration on
    sale.
    also i wouldnt get the 1.6 again, i find it too slow, and on this model,
    the T2050, they slowed the bus speed from what it used to be, again,
    bump it up a notch to the 1.83, you'll thank me later.
    i routinely buy the 1.83 for around $800 in your config.
    a completely package with 3 year warranty and 1.8 could be had for
    around $1000.
    call a rep and get them to adjust the options you cant do on screen.
    the more expensive the system, the more they have to work with.

    true life or not is a matter of preference, i have both and both are
    excellent.

    Jay B, Jul 22, 2006

  3. Boris

    Jay B Guest

    as followup to my last message:
    the integrated audio upgrade is a wate. its pure software upgrade, not
    hardware. they give you a demo program to see wht you'll be getting.
    also you're paying dearly for anitvirus software that is horrible in my
    opinion. that will save you at least $60 there.

    i also wouldnt get a solo processor because they do cost about the same.
    but the pentium M sold in the model 1300 is a good deal when they sold
    it for $500 on sale with a 1.8 processor, 512mb ram, and dvdrw.
    now i only see them with 1.7 processor for that price.

    Jay B, Jul 22, 2006
  4. Boris

    Pat Conover Guest

    Boris

    Jay is right, don't get the, (Pre-installed) McAfee Security Center with
    VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months. I just bought a Dimension
    9150 that came with McAfee preinstalled even though I ordered it without!
    What junk, it slowed my system to a crawl and a PIA to get rid of too! Use
    Free AVG and ZoneAlarm for antivirus and a firewall and Free SpyBot S&D and
    Adaware for net varmints.

    Pat

    Pat Conover, Jul 22, 2006
  5. Boris

    Boris Guest

    Thanks for the 'analysis'. I wasn't aware that the integrated audio
    upgrade was just SB software. Nope, not worth it.

    On the so-called security suite, I forgot to mention that I would also
    delete that, as I agree that any of the security suites (Norton, McAfee)
    are resource hogs. I also figured that would be worth about $60.

    I did notice that the solo processors are now running about the same as
    the duals.

    My college aged girls have a 2-year old i8600 and a 1-year old i6000,
    both Centrinos with M processors, wxga non-glare, 128MB sound, 512 GB
    ram, DVD burners, 85W batteries. Dad liked them so much that he wants to
    get something similar for himself.

    Boris, Jul 22, 2006