Epson "ink is low" ripoff

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Stacey, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    Just a heads up, I'm never going to use/buy another epson printer after this
    experience.

    Bought a C84 for doing only B&W text printing. Seemed to have a big enough
    black cart and 3 colors instead of just one color so I wouldn't have to
    replace all the colors when one ran out if ever. I've always used canon
    printers in the past and these types of things were good to have. I am
    using linux and had the printer set on "draft" mode to conserve ink. WRONG.

    Epson doesn't measure the ink levels, the "estimate" how much ink is left
    by how many pages are printed and shuts down the printer after this many
    pages no matter how much ink is left. First the black "ran out" so I bought
    a high capacity cart thinking this would help (extra $ and probably no more
    ink they just "let" you print more pages with that one!) Now it won't print
    because the color well are all "out of ink" and they are still totally full
    as I've never printed any color pages! I can shake the wells and they are
    just as full as new ones yet the printer won't work and this isn't a
    software thing, it's in the printer itself. Why have separate carts for
    color if the printer is going to claim they are all out at once? As soon as
    this ink "runs out", this POS is going into the trash. They should be
    ashamed of themselves for stealing money from people this way.

    Anyway hope this helps someone from making the same mistake I did. I have
    seen the "hacks" but they look like way to much work to save a $50
    printer..

    Stacey, Jun 24, 2004

  2. **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****

    I have an Epson Color 460.
    The trick is, if it says no more ink, take out ink cartrigde, and put it back in.
    Then it thinks it is full again.
    Later versions (then mine) had a chip to prevent you from doing this.
    I have heard about work arounds, maybe google a bit.
    The Epson is pretty good most of the time, I can for example make PCB layout with it.
    I do no tuse original Epson ink, as it showed not to be waterporrof, but ink from www.inkclub.com.
    That seems to be better waterproof.
    Does this help?
    Dunno.
    Perhaps

    http://www.usenet.com

    Jan Panteltje, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Stacey

    Ken Rushton Guest

    Hi,
    I have an Epson Stylus Photo printer but I got round the ink rip-off by
    buying a liitle device called ZAP-IT on eBay. Cost about £8 I think. All
    you do is put the cartidge in the device when it says "out of ink", press
    a button and it zaps the chip. Put the cartridge back in the printer and
    carry on printing. The next time you see the "out of ink" message it
    really will be empty. Well worth the price as it's surprising how much
    ink is left when you're told there's none.

    Ken Rushton

    Ken Rushton, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Stacey

    Dave C. Guest

    Hi,
    You're screwed anyway. Last I checked, Epson still had the print heads
    built into the printer. So when the print head wears out, you throw the
    printer away. And guess what? Run the ink dry by using the Zap-It, and
    your print head will wear out faster. Just refuse to buy Epson. Go HP or
    Canon instead. The fact that you have to use a zap-it should be enough to
    convince you that Epson is a company that you should NOT deal with, in any
    manner. -Dave

    Dave C., Jun 24, 2004
  5. Stacey

    rstlne Guest

    You're screwed anyway. Last I checked, Epson still had the print heads
    I think that Any company who you buy non-refillable chipped carts from are
    ripping off the consumer..
    My next printer will be lazer.. My Epson CX3200 gets "Lines" in it
    sometimes and stops priting correctly (due to my lack of use I would
    guess)..
    I can watch the ink meter go from 100% (new cart) to 50% JUST by running the
    cleaning process.

    rstlne, Jun 24, 2004
  6. Stacey

    GTS Guest

    The trick is to use cheap copy cartridges. I use Qjet cartridges and you can
    buy a pack of four for about the same price as one genuine Epson cart. And
    unlike some other brands, the quality is every bit as good as the Epson
    ones...

    GTS, Jun 24, 2004
  7. Stacey

    Matt Guest

    Wow ... you really are amazing ...

    As I understand it, Epson makes scanners that are all eminently
    compatible with Linux.

    Matt, Jun 24, 2004
  8. Stacey

    rstlne Guest

    Yea, I didnt do this out of fear that something would go wrong with the unit
    and they would know about it (thus invalidating my warranty)..
    but figguring a black cart going for about 25% of the units cost I soon came
    to say to hell with it
    :)

    rstlne, Jun 24, 2004
  9. Stacey

    gothika Guest

    That crap put out by Epson about off brand cartridges voiding your
    warranty is pure BS.
    Fair trade laws prohibit manufacturers from prohibiting the use of any
    cartridge other than their own.
    Comes under the anti-monopoly act.
    As long as the formulation of the after market cartridge is of the
    same formulation as the oem ink then you can use it without voiding
    the warranty.
    Epson carries the burden of proof when it come to proving that another
    brand ink caused actual printhead damage.
    That lie as well as the fact that Epson makes a unreliable. crappy
    printer made me retire all the one's we used in shop.(stylus pro XL,
    stylus pro 1500, Colorado 1650 etc... all collecting dust due to poor
    performance and constantly clogging printheads.)

    gothika, Jun 25, 2004
  10. Stacey

    gothika Guest

    Crappy, marginal scanners too.
    I own a couple of perfection scanner that are really noisy and produce
    soft images.(I have to run the unsharp on both to get passable
    sharpness. and if I get anywhere near the optical resolution on a scan
    the color noise climbs so high as to make the resultant image
    unuseable.)

    gothika, Jun 25, 2004
  11. Stacey

    nobody Guest

    ....snip...
    Can't say anything about Canon, but HP is the brand I'd avoid
    altogether. Even in good old times when they actually paid attention
    to R&D and engineering, the abbreviation HP stood for High Price.
    These days the High Price part stays the same, but Carly happily
    outsourced engineering and R&D to India, so the quality went... If you
    have a clue you get the picture... Looks like the only parts of HP
    that stay intact are Sales, Marketing, and the airline (for Carly
    flying commercial is too low, corporate jet is the only befitting
    option).

    nobody, Jun 25, 2004
  12. Stacey

    fred bloggs Guest

    Eh, have you had a look at Bristol recently, HP seem to have a pretty big
    lab there next to the Uni.

    Did you by any chance work for HP?

    Mike

    fred bloggs, Jun 25, 2004
  13. Stacey

    fred bloggs Guest

    oop, just noticed this is the worldwide version and Bristol is just a dot in
    the UK.

    fred bloggs, Jun 25, 2004
  14. Stacey

    gothika Guest

    Canon makes some very good printers, especially for printing text.
    Just beware of the model that have the same dpi specs as the epsons,
    they're running epson print engines under the hood.( 1140x720 dpi
    etc...)

    gothika, Jun 26, 2004
  15. Stacey

    Dave C. Guest

    Canon makes some very good printers, especially for printing text.
    Do you have a source for that? If it's true, I'll have to cross Canon off
    my list entirely. But I suspect you are mistaken, as Epson and Canon are
    direct competitors. Canon has been making their own bubble-jets so long, it
    doesn't make sense that they would need to borrow inferior technology from
    Epson. -Dave

    Dave C., Jun 26, 2004
  16. Canon makes the engine for at least one other brand of laser printers
    so I doubt they would outsource their bubble jet design. While I know
    bubble jet != laser, but logically it doesn't make sense for them to
    be doing that, would it?

    The little lost angel, Jun 29, 2004
  17. Oh yes, I got ripped off too. Bought an Epson laser because it was
    affordable with good spec. I've regretted it ever since. The printout
    sucks (a fresh toner has banding printing the same stuff as my old HP
    on half worn out toner), the printer also refuses to print despite
    there being obviously still plenty of toner (the last print out is
    still dark and all). The toner is expensive too!

    I'm not sure how my friend solved it but he came over to my place a
    few weeks back, fiddled with stuff and the Epson's printing now.
    Though I just noticed that the Epson software that used to pop up is
    now missing :p

    But according to another friend who works in one of them printer
    companies, he said the estimation vs actual ink/toner level is to
    achieve consistent quality of print.

    Personally, I think it's just crap to force us to buy new ink/toner.
    I'm not running a publishing house at home and if I want to print
    draft and misc stuff until I can barely see the print, it's MY
    problem. The HP will happily allow me to do that. My next buy is
    definitely going back to HP or Canon since it's basically the same
    thing at mainstream consumer level.

    The little lost angel, Jun 29, 2004
  18. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    The little lost angel wrote:

    Exactly, a bunch of stuff I print isn't important and I like to adjust the
    printer driver (easy to do in linux) so it uses very little ink per page.
    Of course with epson I still get to buy ink like every page was "photo
    quality"!

    Stacey, Jun 29, 2004
  19. Stacey

    Gary Tait Guest

    In the 80s/90s, at least HP and Apple used Canon laser engines.
    Probably some of the smaller brand printers did.
    Not at all, since an inkjet is pretty simple mechanically.

    On a side note, I do know of printer manufacturers that used similar
    technology to bigger ones. I for one have a Citizen printer (I think
    actually and Olivetti or some European based brand), whose head
    technology was close enough to HPs that an HP 26 cart would fit with a
    slight modification to the cart, and disabling the in built ink
    monitor.

    Gary Tait, Jun 29, 2004
  20. I found the best way to save on black ink, when you're only doing text.

    Set the level so light that it's darned near white...

    ....and print on black paper, for good contrast! ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 29, 2004