    So if you like to try but change them after a reasonable amount of
    printing.
    **************

    Alvin.G, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Stacey

    JAD Guest

    Ok since this retarded thread is still going.....I have used Epson
    large media printers for over 6 years now. They run efficiently and
    economically. I also have a 777i at home. The model number should tell
    you how old that is. I NEVER install the ink monitor software, That's
    as simple has it gets. If the newer printers have the monitor built
    into the driver and not separate download/install, then there are ways
    of disabling it, without interfering with the use. I never purchase
    'brand name' cartridges. MSI remanufacturer is about 4 miles from me,
    very lucky for me as the ink is cheap as hell. I have a newer cannon
    s540. The tanks are small but VERY easy to refill, or again in my
    case, I buy the remans for 6$ (USA) and refill when I don't want to
    make the trip. You know that ALL inkjet printer manufacturers are out
    to squeeze the most $ out of what they offer. Oil producers do it,
    food stores do it, auto mechanics do it, city governments, federal,
    etc. in taxes......as long as the public keeps putting up with it,
    then it will go on. Why do people buy regular batteries? When there
    are rechargeable that will last 5 times as long? Laziness, apathy,
    like the majority handles most things.

    JAD, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Excuse me? For $30-40 retail per cartridge, mfrs could
    certainly add a capacitance level measure. H3ll, for
    that much money they could add a float system.
    Only if you believe that evaporation is constant per page.
    It obviously is not and this makes estimates very difficult.
    I don't believe so. They often have baffling/sponges to
    deal with the large waves generated by printhead movement.
    I've never seen any valves.
    No, the purpose is to make money. Having customers feel
    ripped off is undesireable because they may buy elsewhere.

    -- Robert

    Robert Redelmeier, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Fresh from an Iraqi prisoner interrogation (Tim) smirked:
    No, it's not, and you misspelled ridiculous.

    Read some of the info at www.alotofthings.com and see for yourself.

    Never anonymous Bud, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Stacey

    Noozer Guest

    So, you'd be happy if they started putting less ink into the cartridges and
    selling them for the same price?

    The amount of ink that they put in and set the cartridge to stop at ensures
    that you don't pump air into the print head, etc.

    Put it this way...

    Car manufacturers say that your car should have 5 quarts of oil to run. You
    can put less than 5 quarts and be safe. Is it a ripoff then that you have to
    pay for 5 quarts of oil when you get an oil change?

    Noozer, Jul 1, 2004
  6. I switched to Canon printers when Epson started doing that.
    Best move I've made on computers recently.
    BBZZZTTTT!

    Invalid analogy.

    Would you buy a gallon of milk if you KNEW you could only get
    3 quarts out of it when you used it?

    Never anonymous Bud, Jul 2, 2004
  7. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    It's built into the printer itself, it's not part of any software. The
    printer will NOT work as long as this low ink light on the printer is
    blinking. BTW I'm using linux without any epson drivers..

    I never purchase
    Because of these chips you can't refill them either without resetting the
    chip.

    Stacey, Jul 2, 2004
  8. Stacey

    Noozer Guest

    If the carton said "provides x number of glasses" then you can't complain
    when you get "x" number, even if half the carton is still full.

    If an ink cartridge says "1000 sheets at 5%" then it should provide 1000
    sheets at 5% coverage. Once it does that it can shut off/etc. even if it's
    still half full. It met it's requirements.

    Would you complain if you 100,000km tires lasted for 100,000kms and looked
    great, but went flat? No... you got what you paid for.

    Noozer, Jul 2, 2004
  9. Stacey

    JAD Guest

    oh i see... not the ink monitor, a part of the driver, but the
    PRINTERS ink lite.

    JAD, Jul 2, 2004
  10. Have you ever HAD a printer that did as many pages as it's docs claimed??

    Also, do you REALLY print anything at 5% coverage??

    I don't.

    Never anonymous Bud, Jul 2, 2004
  11. Stacey

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Never anonymous
    I print a fair number of invoices, I'd bet that they're well under 5%
    coverage.

    DevilsPGD, Jul 2, 2004
  12. Stacey

    Noozer Guest

    So you're saying you can't do math?

    1000 pages at 5% is 500 pages at 10%... Compare the ink by the rates amount
    of use, not by the amount of ink in the cartridge. Then you *DO* have the
    right to bitch if the ink doesn't produce as many pages as specified.

    Noozer, Jul 2, 2004
  13. Stacey

    Larc Guest

    | If an ink cartridge says "1000 sheets at 5%" then it should provide 1000
    | sheets at 5% coverage. Once it does that it can shut off/etc. even if it's
    | still half full. It met it's requirements.

    I doubt any court would agree with you on that. It would be a little
    like killing off somebody who's already attained his life expectancy!

    It's neither reasonable nor prudent for an active governing device to
    prevent 100% use of any lawful product the customer has paid for and
    owns *in toto*.

    Larc

    Larc, Jul 2, 2004
  14. Stacey

    Ed Guest

    Had an Epson (stylus 800?) , heads were always clogging, was slow to
    start up and 50% of the time it would suck in 1-1/2 papers instead of
    one. I switched back to HP about 2 years ago and couldn't be happier.
    Ed

    Ed, Jul 2, 2004
  15. Stacey

    Noozer Guest

    When was the last time some sued Hellmann's because they could get the last
    tablespoon of mayonnaise out of their squeeze bottle?

    Noozer, Jul 2, 2004
  16. It doesn't though - just like the HP cartridges I buy it specifies a volume
    of liquid.
    No printer mfr specifies such hard and fast limits on number of sheets...
    except apparently Epson?? There's always a rider on such statements that
    they are simply a guide to toner/ink consumption *rates*. It's quite clear
    from this discussion that the majority believe they are buying a certain
    *volume* of ink in a cartridge; if Epson wants to change that they are
    apparently on an steep uphill slope.
    Absurd analogy. In fact the way tire use really works, it's a good
    comparison with ink cartridges as far how it should work. IOW if you drive
    moderately, you can expect your tires to last longer than if you drive
    hard.

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, Jul 2, 2004
  17. Stacey

    Alvin.G Guest

    Noozer was right when he mentioned of the 5% print area.
    It was an international standards (something called FTEC-association,
    sorry for the misspell name) adopted by all fascimile makers. as a test
    guide
    on product performance.
    *************

    Alvin.G, Jul 2, 2004
  18. Stacey

    Dave C. Guest

    When was the last time some sued Hellmann's because they could get the
    last
    What if hellman's designed the squeeze bottle so that it was impossible to
    use more than half the mayonnaise? -Dave

    Dave C., Jul 3, 2004
  19. Stacey

    Dan C Guest

    I'd imagine that everyone would buy Kraft instead. ;)

    Dan C, Jul 3, 2004
  20. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    Exactly, it's done with via hardware not software. I incorrectly assumed
    since I was using linux I wouldn't be affected by this scam.

    Stacey, Jul 3, 2004