    the only solution is to replace the engine? This ink rating should be a
    -minimum- not all we will allow you to print. I print at draft quality yet
    only get print numbers like I was printing photo quality.

    Stacey, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    Exactly what I plan on doing!

    Stacey, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Stacey

    Noozer Guest

    Would you buy a gallon of milk if you KNEW you could only get
    You can't control how hard you drive your printer...

    ....and you can drive on your tires until their on the steel belts, and you
    lose control and crash.

    I assume that you don't change your brake pads until the rivets are cutting
    into the rotors as well.. To hell with the safety margin! Who cares if
    they're squealing as long as there is some pad left!

    Noozer, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    Noozer wrote:

    Sure you can. What do you think "draft quality" or "glossy paper photo
    quality" is doing? It's laying down less or more ink. With the linux driver
    I'm using, I can adjust the gama of the print as light as I want to use as
    little ink per page as I want. But epson has decided that even if I use
    less ink per page, I still am only allowed so many pages before I send them
    some more money.

    BTW abcink.com has a chip resetter that is about the cost of one color
    cartridge. I'll bet the way I'm printing (B&W draft quality) I'll reset
    those color ones 4-5 times at least before they are really empty..

    Stacey, Jul 3, 2004
  5. Stacey

    flap flop Guest

    [snip>

    It's not a 'rip off' by the manufacturer, it's a stupid consumer who
    doesn't know how to make the math in deciding which printer to buy.
    The cheapest ink jet printers are the most expensive ones in their use.

    Flip

    flap flop, Jul 3, 2004
  6. Stacey

    gothika Guest

    I'm not sure what you mean by that reply.
    The fact is Canon did enter into a contract agreement with Epson to
    have Epson produce print engines for a number of the Canon "labeled"
    printerd in the late 90's.
    Actually the number of nozzles do make a difference.
    You DO have to use a good grade of ink and print on photo grade paper
    though.
    It just that simple, more nozzles= more dpi.

    As a matter of fact they did.
    I work in the graphic reproduction field. Been working in the printing
    industry for over 30 years with the contacts to go with it.
    What experience/factual knowledge do you bring to the table?

    gothika, Jul 3, 2004
  7. Stacey

    gothika Guest

    You got the later Canon tech.
    Like I said virtually all the printer companies stepped up R&D to get
    their thermal injet technology up to par with what Epson offering.
    Since then most all have passed Epson by in numbers and quality.
    I have a BJC 6000 which while certainly not as good as your later
    model 8200 does a very respectable job as well.(Got it at a flea
    market for 10 bucks. The seller had an entire small desktop publishing
    setup he was parting out. I got the Canon as well as a HP 3600C which
    I paid a mere 5 bucks for.)
    The early model Canons(Hp's as well) do exibit a pronounced graininess
    when printing halftones or greyscale.
    they've corrected that since tho'.
    I do professional scanning and photo-reproduction as well as alot of
    quark work for commercial printing so I have to have a pretty high bar
    when it comes to acceptable output too.
    I generally use a drum scanner for the large and medium format images
    I have to work with.
    I use a commercial plotter for most of my pre-press proof work as
    well.( Occasionally my consumer inkjets do a good enough job for the
    smaller pre-press work I do. You do have to tweek the drivers to get
    accurate print curves though.)
    When we went digital back in the mid 90's I tried to use the Epsons
    for all my proofing work.
    Contrary to all the Epson Rep told me they just weren't up to the job.
    (I have a closet full of Epson top end crap. Some day I may dust them
    off when I can get aftermarket parts and hardware mods to make them
    useable.)
    wish I had the nearly 7 grand I spent on all that junk.
    I CAN at least warn others here about them though.

    gothika, Jul 3, 2004
  8. Stacey

    gothika Guest

    Didn't say it was. I did say that Canon did this with SOME models.(not
    all) and then only for a couple of years.

    gothika, Jul 3, 2004
  9. Stacey

    Kevin W. Guest

    I switched to Canon printers when Epson started doing that.

    I was gonna do that, but linuxprinting.org strongly recommended not to,
    since Canons almost always don't work on Linux (or so they said...).

    *sigh* Where's some real info on what's compatible and what's not?

    Kevin W., Jul 3, 2004
  10. Stacey

    gothika Guest

    Try looking at the specs for the BJC 3000
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/co...hSpecsSupportAct&fcategoryid=230&modelid=7971

    You'll see the 1440x720 dpi specs.
    They did have several other models that were the same.
    some in the i series as well as the s series.
    Most aren't listed on the Canon site these days as they had third
    party support for these.
    Don't believe they sold many anyway as most of the sales reps I know
    warned their customers off the "Epsons" models.
    Like I said Canon soon improved the quality of their own inkjet tech
    and passed Epson by.

    gothika, Jul 3, 2004
  11. I saw those (don't remember the brand) in Staples (USan office supply store)
    this week. I think they were only about $12.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 3, 2004
  12. Blinky the Shark, Jul 3, 2004
  13. Stacey

    Noozer Guest

    But it's not working the printer any more or less harder as one would do
    with tires.
    No, they've decided that you use so many droplets of ink before they
    cartridge could be at the point of causing an air bubble to gum up the
    printhead.
    Printing in draft should let you print a lot more pages than printing in
    normal mode. If it's not, then your printer is defective, the driver is
    defecting, or you do an awful lot of cleaning cycles.

    Noozer, Jul 4, 2004
  14. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    Sure it is. Driving harder uses more rubber, printing darker uses more ink.
    You can choose which way you want to use what you -paid- for.

    Wrong. I weighed a new and "empty" ink well and there is very little if any
    ink used from them. The decide how many pages you will get as you said and
    even if you NEVER print color, you still have to replace the color ink
    wells all at the same time!
    Nope, the printer itself is counting pages in hardware on the printer itself
    and has no idea how it's being used. Like you said it decides by how many
    pages you "paid for" and then shuts down.
    Yes they all are!

    Stacey, Jul 4, 2004
  15. Stacey

    Stacey Guest

    I have to agree, my canon printers never printed photo's very well compared
    to how they worked with windows. For printing documents they work fine. I
    read HP's work really good with linux and HP supports linux with drivers.

    http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

    Stacey, Jul 4, 2004
  16. Stacey

    Dave C. Guest

    I have to agree, my canon printers never printed photo's very well
    compared
    With our HP inkjet, we get a low ink warning. We get it months before the
    ink actually runs out. But at least it keeps printing until it is REALLY
    out of ink. -Dave

    Dave C., Jul 4, 2004
  17. Know what a printer driver is?... and what it means to you? Every one I've
    seen, laser or inkjet has controls for "quality" or "density" or "dpi"...
    whatever they want you to think the result will be. You seem to have
    missed something established earlier in the thread - GO BACK TO GO.
    I guess *YOU* could - not me!
    Hmmm, quite the little ru... err... ant!

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, Jul 4, 2004
  18. Stacey

    A. L. Meyers Guest

    Judging from the comments here, it appears that for robustness,
    economical, carefree use etc. one should go with lasers, and
    with one that has separate drum and toner to save on drum replacement
    costs because a drum lasts much longer. Obviously, Linux compatibility
    is a must. But is postscript necessary? ps printers generally have
    been much more expensive. Error-free paper handling is of course a
    requirement. No hassles, no fumbling: just lazy, easy plug-n-play.
    Colour is not a requirement.

    More recommendations?

    Lux

    A. L. Meyers, Jul 5, 2004
  19. Stacey

    Gary Tait Guest

    Depensd what OS you are using, and what you use the printer for
    perhaps.

    IMO, printers with an all-in one conumables may be cheaper in the long
    run, if you refill, as the price of a replacement developer/drum of a
    fixed drum printer is rather expensive.

    I have a Panasonic KX-P4420 that is sitting idle, because of the cost
    ot a developer unit and drum are too much.

    Gary Tait, Jul 5, 2004
  20. Definitely for me, if you don't need color, laser is far superior.

    I used to think like that on the (separate) toner & drum/devloper cartridge
    but drums go bad with aging anyway, and start ghosting, often long before
    the drum is really bad or worn out. I've seen corona wires break for no
    reason, rendering the whole drum assembly useless. Then there's developer
    which wastes a lot of toner when you replace. The separate packaging for
    each is additional cost so that, in the end, with modern laser engines, I
    think the integrated cartridge is best.
    My personal preference is for postscript - I wouldn't buy a laser printer
    without it and have, in the past, added the option... no where near as
    expensive as it used to be and the "emulations" are as good as Adobe's
    licensed stuff now IME.

    I hate the printers with the vertical loose sheet feed and output hopper
    (looks like the stuff is growing out of it :)) - I prefer a slide-in input
    drawer, but a tray is OK if it's covered... and output tray on the top of
    the case. Optional straight through path, with say a fold-out output tray
    is nice if there's any chance you might want to print to heavy stock paper.

    I don't have a lot of experience with different makes - I've been
    reasonably happy with Lexmark lasers for home and the office for a while
    now, so have not looked at alternatives recently. Considering the abuse
    they get in the office, from the err, maladrioits, the fact that we never
    get paper jams speaks well for me. The only thng that pisses me off about
    Lexmark is the extortionate price on add-ons like network cards ($300.
    extra for a $15. card), paper drawers and memory (~$500. for a $40. DIMM).

    The printer memory DIMMs are now *finally* becoming (semi-)standardized so
    Crucial usually has a DIMM which fits the common printers... something to
    check when looking at printers. I recently got a Lexmark T420D for the
    office and Lexmark wanted ~$500. for a 64MB DIMM - I got one from Crucial
    for $32... which didn't work.:-( Lexmark's usually excellent support could
    only say "if it's not a Lexmark part, blah, blah, blah". Crucial, of
    course were excellent and replaced it with one which works fine.

    Interesting point on that Crucial DIMM: the part which didn't work had
    Samsung memory chips and Crucial noted this when I phoned their support:
    "hmm, you have a 'K-part'... with the Samsung chips. We'll send you one
    with Micron chips".

    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, Jul 6, 2004