    enlighten me.

    Thanx in anticipation

    Mayank

    funkymunky, Dec 27, 2004

  2. funkymunky

    Tim Wescott Guest

    http://www.ucos-ii.com/contents/products/ucos-ii/ports.html

    Since you are new to embedded systems you should first ask yourself if
    the application is big enough for an OS, or if you should do it in a
    task loop.

    Tim Wescott, Dec 27, 2004

  3. funkymunky

    Ian Bell Guest

    I think you need to figure this out FIRST.

    Anyway, lots of stuff about the 8021 at www.8052.com

    Ian

    Ian Bell

    Ian Bell, Dec 27, 2004
  4. funkymunky

    Gus Guest

    http://www.FreeRTOS.org has an 8051 port.

    Gus, Dec 27, 2004
  5. DCX51

    Google search found this interesting site:

    http://margo.student.utwente.nl/el/micros/80xx/

    and this

    http://www.hoeben.com/

    Rufus

    Rufus V. Smith, Dec 27, 2004
  6. funkymunky

    Casey Guest

    Tim Wescott said
    Exactly. I wrote the code for about 10 different 8051-based telecom
    products and I never had any need for an OS. You can do a *lot*
    without one.

    I'm not at all against OS's - I just used one in a Coldfire-based
    product because I needed one.

    Casey

    Casey, Dec 27, 2004
  7. funkymunky

    Tim Wescott Guest

    The cost/benefit tradeoff goes something like this:

    With an OS you pay a big price in effort (and possibly fees) to get the
    framework up, then each job that needs to be done can be put in a task
    with a relatively small effort -- AND -- you don't have to worry nearly
    as much about interaction (until you use up that last clock cycle and
    your world falls apart).

    With no OS you pay a small price in effort to get the framework (if any)
    up, then each job that needs to be done has to be referenced in the main
    body of code for a medium amount of effort, with lots of interaction
    between parts (but the interaction is easy to see).

    So if you're doing a small application you shouldn't use an OS unless it
    somehow comes for free (i.e. you've got a nearly identical board to one
    that has a running OS on it, and you don't have to pay fees). If you're
    doing a really large application then you should use an OS practically
    no matter what (i.e. anything that's not life critical like a jetliner
    fly-by-wire system).

    Tim Wescott, Dec 27, 2004
  8. funkymunky

    Neil Kurzman Guest

    There is Micro Cos OS/II

    Neil Kurzman, Dec 28, 2004
  9. funkymunky

    funkymunky Guest

    Thanx for your responses..im enlightened already!

    funkymunky, Dec 28, 2004