eSata, Ram limitations

Discussion in 'Intel' started by The New Guy, Feb 28, 2007.

  1. The New Guy

    The New Guy Guest

    Is eSata really working properly on most boards? I'm hearing stories
    of flakey performance and booting issues. I'm looking to work with
    large video files and want a hot swappable enclosure where I can just
    pop in hard drives for editing and viewing while still maintaining
    Sata performance. I really want the eSata thing to work.

    Then I need to pick an Intel 955/65/75 motherboard. I need a board
    that can handle:
    800mhz ram, either 4gb or 8gb max,
    Firewire (400 or 800),
    Intel Matrix Raid (for running in Raid 0),
    Everything else is pretty much great that they supply with the board.

    I'm also noticing a lot of people having a hard time getting their
    board to run more than 2gb of ram. Since 2gb sticks are so expensive
    now, I need a board that can handle 4 x 1gb sticks. Hopefully 800mhz
    but 667mhz would be ok for now.

    Suggestions?

    The New Guy, Feb 28, 2007

  2. The New Guy

    DaveW Guest

    There fundamentally are NO consumer level motherboards yet that have stable
    memory timings when attempting to run four RAM sticks.

    DaveW, Feb 28, 2007

  3. The New Guy

    The New Guy Guest

    Is eSata really working properly on most boards? I'm hearing stories
    Any idea why? And don't most people feel that the advertising is
    somewhat misleading?

    The New Guy, Mar 1, 2007