ESC key problems

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Default User, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. Default User

    Default User Guest

    It's kind of a long shot, but maybe someone has an idea. I'm trying to
    play an old game (Starflight II) on an old PC. For some reason, the ESC
    key doesn't seem to work when the game is running. That's bad, because
    that's how you access the menu for saving, quitting, etc.

    The ESC key works ok when, for instance, working with the system config
    menu prior to boot (I was looking at that for inspiration, none came),
    so it doesn't SEEM to be a hardware problem.

    Any ideas as to why this could be? Any alternate ways to generate ESC
    from the keyboard? I don't recall hearing of any. Like I said, a
    longshot.

    I'm shotgunning a bit with the newsgroup selection. Feel free to cut
    distribution to the one you read if you like, I'll monitor all three.

    Brian

    Default User, Dec 11, 2007

  2. Default User

    Guest Guest

    Control [ also generates a 27 code, but if your program is handling
    keyboard input directly(not using the bios or system) then it may not
    be recognized.

    Guest, Dec 11, 2007

  3. Default User

    Hey, anything's worth a shot. Thanks for the tip.

    Brian

  4. Default User

    Auric__ Guest

    I have nothing useful to add to the thread, but I'm stealing your sig.
    :)

    Auric__, Dec 11, 2007
  5. Default User

    Have at it! After all, I stole from Ms. Gambrell.

    Brian

  6. Default User

    Michael Guest

    Just a thought, are there any options for setting what the keys do? I had
    this problem with unreal tournament a while back till I realised I'd
    accidentally unassigned the esc key. All I had to do was reassign it.

    Michael, Dec 11, 2007
  7. Default User

    No, the interface is pretty primitive. I looked through the manual to
    see if it said anything about that sort of thing.

    Brian

  8. Default User

    tikbalang Guest

    Any ideas as to why this could be? Any alternate ways to generate ESC
    it happens on one of my pc's when i boot to dos and there's a usb
    gamepad plugged in. you could try key remappers here:

    http://members.aol.com/bretjohn/

    tikbalang, Dec 12, 2007
  9. Default User

    Auric__ Guest

    Now we just have to wait and see how long it takes my sigmonster to spew
    it forth. I give it a year.

    Auric__, Dec 12, 2007
  10. Default User

    Heh, no USB on this old thing. I'll look at your suggestions, thanks.

    Brian

    Default User, Dec 12, 2007
  11. *** Might it be a 101 keyboard problem? I remember when these boards
    first came out that they would cause probles for some software that was
    used to AT keyboards. See if the "KEYB" command can help by setting it to
    "Non-Enhanced" before you play the game.

    KEYB /?

    Richard Bonner
    http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/

    Richard Bonner, Dec 14, 2007