Eternal Sleep on iMac

Discussion in 'Apple' started by stark, Aug 15, 2004.

  1. stark

    stark Guest

    Running OS X 1.5. If I've opened Classic to view a Classic document,
    then closed all docs and aps and left the computer, it will go to
    perpetual sleep. No key stroke will awaken it. I have to shut down and
    restart with the button.

    And . .sometimes on restart I'll get a blank white screen. I believe
    I'm getting the smiley face, but the screen goes blank. Requiring
    another button shutdown and restart. Then it boots.

    On days when I do not activate Classic, computer sleeps and awakens
    normally.

    I've read somewhere that in OS X running Classic, reawakenings are
    SLOW. If they're talking about 5 to 10 minutes, I haven't waited that
    long before forcing a restart.

    Does anybody recognize this symptom? Is it normal or potentially
    dangerous>? I've already lost one hard drive on this iMac and the new
    one is one month outside of it's 90-day warranty.

    stark, Aug 15, 2004

  2. stark

    Charlie Guest

    I've had same sleep problem on an iMac running Jaguar -- Classic is
    installed but not used. My fix has been to turn off the sleep in the
    energy saver in the system prefs. I only ever put that computer to sleep
    manually (under the Apple menu).
    Sorry, have no insight into your other problems -- but in general my
    experience with sleep problems was not related to classic but to old
    iMacs (the PRE flat screen iMacs) running OSX.

    I also find it hard to believe that this is a hard drive issue, although
    I'm no expert in these matters. However, I remember reading recently (in
    TidBits, I think) that if you go directly to the hard drive manufacture
    then you may be able to replace your faulty hard drive past the
    warrantee of your computer since the drive itself is usually guaranteed
    for several years.

    Charlie, Aug 15, 2004

  3. stark

    Ed Anson Guest

    FWIW I used to have a similar problem with my G4 tower. When I updated
    to 10.3, the problem went away. YMMV.

    Ed Anson, Aug 15, 2004
  4. stark

    Charlie Guest

    Then perhaps the problem is with pre-panther OSX. I never did upgrade
    the old iMacs to Panther, so I don't know whether they would be cured. I
    was just going on personal anecdotal evidence :)

    Charlie, Aug 16, 2004
  5. stark

    Kyle Jones Guest

    Don't forget to try the all-purpose Mac cure-all--- zapping the PRAM.
    My Energy Saver problems mostly went away after I did that. The
    strange hangs and lock-ups after awakening and the occasional
    eternal sleeps are gone completely. The mouse has gone away once
    since then, requiring unplug/replug to get it going again. But
    this is a vast improvement over previous behavior.

    Kyle Jones, Aug 18, 2004