EVGA 7800GTX KO with low 3DMark05 score?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Giovanni Azua, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Hi all,

    Just installed the EVGA 7800GTX KO 490Mhz GPU and
    1300Mhz memory. Most games play reasonably fast on high
    settings e.g. Counter Strike but some games do not e.g. Age
    of Empires III is unplayable on High Antialiasing or resolution
    of 1600x1200 settings.

    The score I got for my EVGA 7800GTX KO in 3DMark05
    is 7400 ... does it sound ok? rather not! and I have a non
    crappy system:

    Dell Precision 670
    Dual Xeon 3.2Ghz
    2GB RAM
    800Mhz FBS
    etc.

    Is there any way to find out what the bottleneck is? if any?
    Would you say is ok to have the 3DMark05 score of 7400
    with such "the fastest card in the market"?

    Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Giovanni

    Giovanni Azua, Jan 3, 2006

  2. Giovanni Azua

    Augustus Guest

    Running at what resolution? Running which OS? XP64 or XP32 or 2003 Server?
    With which drivers? Presumably this is running on registered DDR2 ECC
    memory, which is will definitely slow things down somewhat. You need to
    supply more details before any meaningful comments can be made.

    Augustus, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Hi Augustos,

    Thanks for your feedback!

    XP 32 ... there is no XP 64 yet or at least not that would
    support all XP 32 applications including games AFAIK.
    ForceWare 83.10 comming from:
    The memory is the fastest available ... 256MB of GDDR3.
    I also used CoolBits also from guru3d to tweak a bit the card.

    Many thanks!
    Regards,
    Giovanni

    Giovanni Azua, Jan 3, 2006
  4. Giovanni Azua

    Augustus Guest

    The memory is the fastest available ... 256MB of GDDR3.
    No, I mean the RAM on your mainboard will be Registered ECC DDR2, being a
    Dell dual Xeon workstation.....it has a large effect on 3DMark05 scores. The
    synthetic benchmark is very ram speed sensitive The ECC slows things down.
    Given that your 3DMark05 score was taken at 1600x1200, your score is not
    really out of line. This P4 3.2 test system o/c to 3.72Ghz with a 7800GTX
    did 7821 on 3DMark05. Given that your system has a faster GTX but slower RAM
    and CPU's, it look bang on to me.

    http://www.avault.com/hardware/print_review.asp?review=evga7800gtx

    Augustus, Jan 3, 2006
  5. Hi Augustus!

    Thanks for the hints ... then it looks "reasonable" my score? how
    those guys over there achieve +10000? what is different from mine?
    only RAM memory speed? do you think if I replace my memory
    by the fastest one it will be noticeable?

    I actually found out that my FSB speed is 800Mhz but the RAM
    (which confirms your idea) runs at 400Mhz only ... additionally I
    have four RAM modules which makes it slower than only one big
    RAM ... I've read that somewhere ...

    Many thanks!

    Regards,
    Giovanni

    Giovanni Azua, Jan 3, 2006
  6. Giovanni Azua

    Scotter Guest

    Actually, 4 RAM modules is fine.
    I *believe* in order to utilize the DDR (double data rate) of your RAM, it
    helps to have your number of RAM modules divisible by 2.

    Finally, I don't think ECC effects your video scores in a super big way. I
    agree with the other poster who says they *do* slow you down.

    You may be running up against your processor's limitations. This is my bet.
    I've played a lot with dual processor systems. You do realize, I hope, that
    you are only utilizing ONE of your 3.2ghz Xeons, yes?

    Whose systems out there are you comparing yours to? I believe an Opteron of
    much slower ghz is supposed to be faster than Xeons, mainly because of
    memory management and FSB of 1000mhz. And I'm betting a Pentium 3.6ghz would
    also tromp a 3.2ghz Xeon in game tests but I'm not sure of that.

    My bet is that you are CPU limited. A way to get some clues would be to:
    (a) compare your scores to those of others with same CPUs
    (b) compare your scores to those of others with same GPU
    (c) overclock your GPU core/mem just a bit more and compare
    (d) overclock your CPUs just a bit and compare

    Please post your results. I'm trying to decide whether to get a BFG 7800 GTX
    512 or a 7800 GTX 256 for my new dual Opteron 252 system.

    Scotter, Jan 3, 2006
  7. Giovanni Azua

    Scotter Guest

    I've been browsing through 3dMark05 results.

    AMD Athlon 64 clocked to 3.9ghz with 7800 GTX @ 675/1584 scoring 17560!

    AMD Athlon 64 clocked to 3.4ghz with 7800 GTX @ 468/1305 scoring 14556

    AMD Athlon 64 clocked to 2.6ghz with 7800 GTX @ 564/1350 scoring 11932

    Pentium 4 Extreme Edition clocked at 4.9ghz with 7800 GTX @ 501/1350 score
    of 11794

    Xeon overclocked to 3.8ghz with a 7800 GTX running at 529/1323 and getting a
    score of 10362

    Pentium 4 Extreme Edition clocked at 3.9ghz with 7800 GTX running at
    551/1336 score of 8232

    Scotter, Jan 3, 2006
  8. Hi Scotter,

    That's the case anyway ... I have 4 modules.
    What about the memory max speed being 400Mhz and the FSB
    800Mhz ... then the bottleneck would obviously be the memory
    speed.
    How do you realize that? I can see both of my two Xeon processors being
    used all the time even during gaming. At least that's what is shown in the
    Task Manager. Using RedHat is the same both processors are used.
    I also notice slightly faster response time using Hyper-Threading ...
    it shows then four processors and they are all used even in gaming.
    :( I spent something like 4500 USD for my rig (separate from my new Video
    Card) and I could have bought a far cheaper one AMD-based that outperforms
    this one by far :(
    I just wonder how I can overclock my Xeon processors ...
    I have a D(H)ELL system :)
    okp.

    Regards,
    Giovanni

    Giovanni Azua, Jan 4, 2006
  9. Hi Giovanni:

    My eVGA 7800 GTX scored 7848 on 3DMark05 using the 81.98 drivers.
    Although your "KO" video card is faster, I probably have an edge on
    the CPU with an AMD Athlon 4000+. So, I'd say your score is reasonable.

    I've been very pleased with my system's performance with Half-Life 2,
    Battlefield 2, with settings max'ed out. I haven't tried Age of Empires
    III, so can't comment.

    You might want to look at the following site which has lots of
    suggestions for tweaking perforamance on your machine and for many
    specific games.

    <http://www.tweakguides.com/>

    Good luck,

    Will

    Will Deatrick, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Giovanni Azua

    Scotter Guest

    Your system is not *that* inferior. Remember, I'm only talking about gaming.
    So when I mentioned it only using one processor, that is what I meant.
    MOST games are not multi-threaded so they don't take advantage of that
    second processor like you think they might. Now there are many nice things
    about having dual processors! Like in an OS that is multi-processor aware, a
    lot of overhead, whether it be from various OS processes or from other
    software you have running at the same time as your game, is taken care of by
    one processor while the other can focus on the game. But rarely, with
    current games, will you see much benefit from having a second processor if
    you are just running the game alone. Does that make sense?

    Having said all that, I bet your machine is a speed demon when it comes to
    encoding/decoding media, editing video/audio, running multiple apps all at
    the same time, etc. Having bounced back and forth between single and dual
    processor machines, I'm very much in favor of dualies.

    Regarding the 800mhz FSB and the 400mhz RAM, I'm not sure you are having
    much (if any) of a bottleneck there. I am not super technically knowledgable
    with how the front side bus between the CPUs and the RAM works in Xeon
    systems. But my suspicion is that you can't compare the 400 to the 800 in a
    1-for-1 manner. Why? Because if you could then it would mean people with
    with 1000mhz bus and same 400mhz RAM wouldn't be getting faster memory
    access. And I'm talking about systems that use ECC RAM just like you do. But
    hopefully, someone with more knowledge than me will chime in here and
    correct or confirm what I'm saying.

    Scotter, Jan 4, 2006
  11. Giovanni Azua

    Scotter Guest

    Hey Will -

    What resolution do you play those games in, please?
    I'm running a Dell 2405FPW 24" wide LCD and it is a concern of mine when I
    buy this new card just how well it will do at resolutions like 1600x1200.
    Thanks!

    Scotter, Jan 4, 2006
  12. Giovanni Azua

    johns Guest

    You guys want to see those scores go up a lot, do this:

    F8 into Safe Mode and go to

    Start - Run - Msconfig

    under General, uncheck boxes 1,2, and 4

    under Services, check the box Hide All Microsoft Services

    Click OK, and reboot. Then run 3DMark. Typically you
    should gain about 30% or more. Be sure to restore
    the Msconfig setting to Normal Boot.

    johns

    johns, Jan 4, 2006
  13. Hi Scotter:

    I've been playing the games (HL2, BF2, Fighter Ace) at 1600x1200, 85 Hz
    on my Dell 21" P1130 Trinitron monitor. I haven't made the jump to LCD
    yet.

    Full system specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 2.4 GHz
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM hard disk
    2 GB RAM, Patriot 4-512MB DIMMs, DDR PC3200+XBL, 400 MHz
    EVGA e-GeForce 7800 GTX, GDDR3, 256 MB, PCI-E 16X, 81.98 drivers
    Cooler Master, Real Power, 450W PS
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI sound card
    ASUS Proactive A8N-SLI mainboard
    Sony DRU-810A dual layer 16X DVD/CD ReWritable Drive
    Lian Li PC-60 aluminum case
    Win XP Pro SP2
    Direct X 9.0c
    Dell 21" P1130 Trinitron monitor
    MS Sidewinder FFB2 Joystick
    MS Sidewinder Game Voice
    TeamSpeak2 2.0.32.60
    Linksys BEFSR81 Router, 2.40.2 firmware
    Toshiba PCX 2600 Cable Modem
    Cox ISP

    Will

    Will Deatrick, Jan 4, 2006
  14. Giovanni Azua

    Scotter Guest

    Nice system, Will!

    It looks like you put a lot of thought into which parts to use!
    Gotta love those Lian-Li cases, eh? My current server and current main home
    machine I both built using Lian-Li cases. PC-6? and PC-70, respectively.

    Current system:
    http://oceanmedia.net/opteron.asp
    (I made that page before I decided I want to part out the system so I could
    keep the RAM and the case)
    Plus:
    Klipsch 4.1 speaker system
    Same (external version) 16x Sony DvD burner.
    Two Dell 24" LCD (2405FPW) panels.
    MS Natural Keyboard
    6 port USB2 hub that has 4 in front of computer

    NEW System nearly finished being built that will replace this:
    Dual Opteron 252's (2.6ghz) on Tyan's K8WE motherboard (has 4 ram slots PER
    processor)
    500GB Hitachi SATA2 Deathstar
    4 gig Corsair XMS ECC DDR 400 RAM (2 gig per processor)
    BFG 7800 GTX 512

    This will be the first home system I let someone else build for me in a long
    time. Unfortunately, I let them choose other than Lian-Li case so after I
    get the system here I MAY move it all into this Lian-Li PC-70 case I love so
    much. We'll see. May not want to sweat moving the motherboard, etc. over to
    the Lian case. I have not ordered the video card yet. That's the one piece I
    was going to put in myself. Still waiting for one to be in stock at New Egg.

    Scotter, Jan 4, 2006
  15. Thanks, Scotter. Actually, my son put a lot of thought into which parts
    to use and my wife paid for it for my Christmas present. The Lian Li
    case is really quite nice - very easy to access, separate mainboard and
    hard disk trays, and it looks sharp.

    Your new system will be awesome. Dual CPUs, 512 MB video card, 4 GB
    RAM, huge hard disk - wow. But it's scary how fast they go obsolete. My
    previous system was a Dell 2.2 GHz with 128MB video card that wouldn't
    even run BF2. Enjoy your new system, and I hope the LCD works well with
    the games.

    Will

    Will Deatrick, Jan 4, 2006
  16. Giovanni Azua

    Dean Jarratt Guest

    I've got a 4400 X2 @ stock and 2 x 7800SLI @ XFX stock scoring 11696

    Dean Jarratt, Jan 4, 2006
  17. Giovanni Azua

    Scotter Guest

    Thanks, Will.
    Yeah, we will both have "mean machines" for this new year! :)
    Oh and I *know* the LCDs work great for games because I'm using them already
    on my current "old" system.
    Yeah, the hardest decision was between the 512MB and 256MB 7800 GTX cards. I
    typically try to buy the "very best" I can when I upgrade but often will buy
    just one or two gradations below "very best". For example, last time I
    bought the BFG 6800 GT OC, which was "2 levels" below "very best" since
    there was 6800 Ultra and Ultra OC available.
    But as each year passes, I realize more and more how important it is to
    shoot for the very best, reasons including: (a) longer lifespan before
    obsoletion; and (b) more enjoyment of use during lifespan.
    :)

    Scotter, Jan 4, 2006
  18. Giovanni Azua

    Scotter Guest

    Hey Dean -

    Thanks for the additional info!
    What are the core/mem mhz of your 7800's?
    Are they GT's or GTX's?

    Scotter, Jan 4, 2006
  19. Giovanni Azua

    Dean Jarratt Guest

    7800GT's, core 450 (which is XFX stock), memory 1100 if I remember
    correctly.

    Dean Jarratt, Jan 5, 2006
  20. Hi Johns,

    I tried what you suggested but the 3DMark05 score was
    exactly the same, I was curious about it ...

    Thanks anyway,
    Regards,
    Giovanni

    Giovanni Azua, Jan 6, 2006