    to the manual (Gigabyte K8NNXP.) Also one AGP 3.0 8x slot at 533MHz.
    I'm wanting to convert the system into a HTPC, so I just need a better
    card.

    Hibes, Jul 31, 2009

  2. Hibes

    Paul Guest

    Are you, perhaps, mixing up PCI Express, as used on GTX 275, to the
    other two incompatible expansion slot standards ? More information here.
    PCI Express is not the same as PCI.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/vidslots/slots.html

    You can go to Newegg, use the selector to select AGP or PCI as
    the connector type, and pick a video card from there.

    Use "Advanced Search" and see the "Interface" menu. Select
    a type which is present on your motherboard, then do a search.
    Once you've identified a card, you can search for that card
    at a local computer shop.

    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=48&name=Desktop-Graphics-Video-Cards

    Your AGP slot is likely the best option.

    Based on the number of customer reviews, this appears to have
    been a popular gamer card. One issue with modern AGP cards, is the
    adequacy and level of support for drivers, that make these
    bridged AGP cards work. Read the reviews, and make sure you
    understand the correct recipe for installation. The instructions
    that come in the box, may give less than an optimal result, and
    some customer before you, will have figured all that out.

    SAPPHIRE 100228L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730

    For HTPC, you might be more interested in video acceleration,
    in which case the latest video acceleration engine is what
    you're looking for.

    On ATI, that might be UVD 2.2, as found on HD 4670 or HD 4650 card.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150433

    The problem on the Nvidia side, is finding a modern GPU, available
    in a bridged AGP version. You might have to go to a PCI version
    of modern Nvidia card then, to get the most recent (VP3).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA_PureVideo

    There is an 8400GS PCI version for sale, but there is no
    way to know what GPU chip is being used. The Wikipedia article
    hints at needing G98 chip.

    Jaton 8400GS PCI
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139050

    http://db.jaton.com.tw/VGAProductDetail.aspx?P_ID=84558KDLP-T512A

    Based on a quick search through this page, G98 chip doesn't even
    get mentioned. So maybe nobody puts such a chip on a 8400GS PCI
    card.

    Anyway, that should illustrate some buying considerations. The
    ATI HD 4650 AGP version, might be close enough to getting the
    job done.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150433

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 1, 2009

  3. Hibes

    Hibes Guest

    Thanks for the info Paul. Much appreciated!

    Hibes

    Hibes, Aug 1, 2009