evo n610 battery vs. motherboard

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by jethomas930, Jun 16, 2010.

  1. jethomas930


    Jun 16, 2010
    Likes Received:
    Got my youngest his first notebook when he deployed in 07, a Compaq EVO N610c. By March, he’d lost the power cord but said it had stopped working, that the batter wouldn’t charge. Since I couldn’t trouble-shoot it from Iraq, I got him what I’d just ordered for me, an Acer Travel-Mate and at after he got back, he mailed the Compaq home to me. Jobs, unemployment, funds, etc, I’m just getting to deal with it, he ok’d my repairing and giving it to my niece who needs something to use and help her get a better job.

    So here’s the issue, originally we assumed the problem was with the battery, that it just died because it wouldn’t recharge, he’d lost the power adapter/cord which I'd replaced but that didn’t work. This was in early 08.

    Fast forward to now, the Compaq – with battery removed -- lights up/blinks fine, so it indicates its receiving power. Now with the battery inserted, no light, it only blinks when I compress the on/off and reset buttons then stops the battery light does not stay on to indicate its receiving power.

    Nothing wrong with the power adapter, I just ordered it along with a 320g hdd upgrade I've been alternating that power source with mine between the Compaq and my notebook and its been working fine the last 2 weeks. I ordered and received on Mon a replacement battery (OEM), identical to the one in the box, same results as with the original battery – notebook lights/links to indicate power with the battery removed, does nothing with the battery inserted.

    The original hdd was fine, that had all my son’s music on it – like years worth that he copied and loaded onto it so I got him an external enclosure so he could access/listen to his music, way too much to move off. The replacement hdd is a western digital (ATA WD320BEVE), but that’s not a factor because it wouldn’t prevent the battery from charging. First thing I did when I opened it up with blew out all the dust and Iraqi sand, not as much as I thought it would be, in fact next to none. And of course there’s no way to test the fan out unless the battery has a charge, so no the fan doesn’t move but it’s not suppose to given the battery. But I tested the notebook anyway with the new hdd in and out, same results.

    So as far as I can tell, I’ve ruled out everything. I’m wondering if it’s the battery’s contact strip on the motherboard and if so, can that be replaced. I’m unemployed and I don’t have funds to replace a motherboard (and components) particularly if it’s only the contact strip that at issue; I've been using my UI to revamp this box, its my favorite niece who is getting it and she's been trapped in a nowhere job for several years.

    I wanted an opinion, suggestion, ideas – I’m at a total loss.

    jethomas930, Jun 16, 2010
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.