Ex-Executive of Computer Associates Receives Prison Sentence

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sparky Spartacus, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. Latest chapter in the CA debacle:

    January 27, 2007
    Ex-Executive of Computer Associates Receives Prison Sentence
    By DOW JONES/AP

    A former executive with Computer Associates who pleaded guilty to
    securities fraud and who prosecutors said was instrumental in the
    prosecution of the company’s former chief executive, Sanjay Kumar, was
    sentenced to seven months in prison and seven months of home detention.

    The executive, Ira Zar, the former chief financial officer, pleaded
    guilty in 2004 and has cooperated with authorities in the prosecution of
    Mr. Kumar and the company’s former sales chief, Stephen Richards.

    Mr. Zar, 45, also pleaded guilty to two counts of conspiracy and was
    sentenced by Judge I. Leo Glasser of United States District Court in
    Brooklyn. He was also ordered to serve two years of supervised release
    after the completion of his sentence. No fine was imposed and
    restitution will be determined at a later date.

    The company, based in Islandia, N.Y., has since changed its name to CA Inc.

    Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

    Sparky Spartacus, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Sparky Spartacus

    Tom Scales Guest

    So did their President. I used to work at a company where the President
    worked early in his career. The stories about his, um, ethics were
    legendary

    Tom Scales, Jan 27, 2007

  3. So did their President.... do what? What was/is his name?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Sparky Spartacus

    Tom Scales Guest

    Sanhay Kumar
    12 years in prison
    $8 million fine

    Charges could have resulted in life in prison

    http://tinyurl.com/t5pqr

    Tom Scales, Jan 27, 2007

  5. The thread (and your link) has Sanjay Kumar as the
    ex-CEO and Ira Zar as the ex-CFO. "President"
    usually refers to another position in a corporation.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Sparky Spartacus

    Ben Myers Guest

    IIRC, Kumar held the title of President, too... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 27, 2007
  7. Sparky Spartacus

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, he did.

    Tom Scales, Jan 27, 2007
  8. You mean Charlie Wang? Absolutely.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jan 28, 2007
  9. Sparky Spartacus

    Tom Scales Guest

    No, Wang was gone by this point. He snuck out and Sanjay was in charge.
    Don't remember if Wang got busted too.

    Tom Scales, Jan 28, 2007
  10. Sparky Spartacus

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Jan 28, 2007
  11. Sparky Spartacus

    Phred Guest

    From the link Tom quoted, namely:
    <http://tinyurl.com/t5pqr>

    or, for those who prefer the full bottle:
    <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/technology/03computer.
    html?ex=1320210000&en=7bd020ac976a7605&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>

    "Once hailed as a Horatio Alger success story, Mr. Kumar
    arrived in the United States at the age of 14 after his
    family fled Sri Lanka. Joining Computer Associates in 1987
    at the age of 25, Mr. Kumar earned promotions quickly: he
    became president and chief operating officer in 1994, and
    in 2000 he assumed the role of chief executive. Two years
    later, he added the title of chairman after Mr. Wang resigned."

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Jan 28, 2007
  12. Sparky Spartacus

    Ben Myers Guest

    Thanks. Good to know that my brain cells are not all fried... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 28, 2007