Exchange type Server for MAC (Same features as MS Exchange) - REcommendations

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Dave Smithz, Nov 14, 2005.

  1. Dave Smithz

    Dave Smithz Guest

    Hi there,

    Similar to an earlier posting of mine, I've been looking into an email
    server for Mac to give similar features such as calendar synchronisation,
    global contacts list etc.

    Therefore what MS exchange provides but looking at alternative to adding a
    PC into the Mac network.

    Essentially though need to be able to do the things listed on here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/entourage2004/entourage2004.aspx?pid=exup2004#sharing

    What is the equivalent Mac exchange server and will it work with Entourage
    as a client or does it provide another feature rich, well presented client.

    Any help really appreciated.

    Kind regards

    Dave

    Dave Smithz, Nov 14, 2005

  2. Dave Smithz

    Jon Aalborg Guest

    The product is called Communigate Pro
    Look at <http://www.stalker.com/> and especially
    <http://www.stalker.com/content/groupware.htm>.

    As far as I can tell you need their "Core Server". It is claimed to run
    equally well on MOSX and Win servers, and on Linux, and has an
    Exchange-compatible set of functionalities to mimick Exchange server,
    and then some, while avoiding the virus/malware hazards. It does cost a
    serious amount of money, but pricing is still far better than M$...

    Unfortunately I haven't used it myself, but from what I hear it may be a
    very good option for you.

    Jon Aalborg, Nov 14, 2005

  3. Dave Smithz

    Dave Smithz Guest

    Dave Smithz, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Dave Smithz

    Jon Aalborg Guest

    Well - Exchange support is rather complicated...?
    I know of people who have used this and who claim that it is
    - cheaper than Exchange
    - Performs better than Exchange
    - Runs on other platforms (Mac OS X, Linux)
    - Is not the virus flypaper that Exchange is
    That seems to be a lot of good arguments, enough maybe to live with the
    inevitable complications. I'm sure there are some, there always is.
    I don't have any, others may have.

    Good luck in your hunting.

    Jon Aalborg, Nov 17, 2005