Expensive Doorstop !

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Den Regan, Jun 21, 2004.

  1. Den Regan

    Den Regan Guest

    My PC is self built and has been running flawlessly for six months.
    The mobo is the Abit IC7-G with a P4 2.6C CPU and running Win XP Pro.
    Suddenly the OS starts hanging, refuses to shutdown and is generally
    unstable.

    Yesterday it booted but did not recognise the HDDs.
    I have a 40GB IBM drive which is the master and has one partition for
    the OS and a second partition for apps.
    The second HDD is a WD 80GB unit which I use for data storage.
    I went into the BIOS and this is not detecting the drives.
    The boot order had changed so I returned it to safe settings.

    The F10 key ( save changes and exit ) has no effect and every time I
    reboot and access the BIOS, settings have changed.
    Sometimes the IDE drives are seen, sometimes not.

    The last time I managed to run Windows I ran a virus check without a
    problem being reported.

    The problem would appear to lie within the BIOS and I am flummoxed.

    I am tempted to wipe the CMOS ( and remove the battery for a while )
    and see if that does the trick.

    BeforeI do this I should be very grateful for any ideas and advice.

    TIA

    Den Regan, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Den Regan

    TomG Guest

    sounds like a possible battery failure or something...
    strip the system down to bare bones and start adding back just one drive at
    a time and see what happens. no question, something seems to be screwing
    with the bios in a big way. save the settings with nothing attached, in
    terms of hard drives, and then see what happens as you add one drive at a
    time back. consider that a ribbon cable might be going flakey but that
    would not have any impact on whether the bios can be saved or not. get a
    fresh battery.
    I would do exactly that and start with a fresh battery when you plug it back
    in.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Den Regan

    JK Guest

    Maybe a worn-out power supply. Try with another one.

    best regards

    John

    JK, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Den Regan

    Leon Rowell Guest

    Den,

    Make sure that the "Clear CMOS" jumper is on the correct two pins. It
    sounds like it may be on the wrong pins or only on one pin.

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Den Regan

    Blahguy Guest

    Check your HDD cables, or perhaps your CMOS battery is faulty

    Blahguy, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Den Regan

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Some would say to get a new door stop...

    But it wouldn't be ME, :)

    - HAL9000, Jun 22, 2004
  7. Den Regan

    Den Regan Guest

    Thank you very much, everyone, for your kind and helpful responses.

    I was pretty sure that the components were OK and the PSU is a new Antec 550W unit.

    I replaced the battery and that has fixed the problem.

    One wonders how old some of the batteries are that are fitted to M/Boards ?
    This Abit board was only bought about six months ago, if that.

    You have got me out of a hole ! Much appreciated.

    Den Regan, Jun 22, 2004