    or should I just leave it in. Also it is left on for days at a time, if
    that makes any difference. I am fairly new at laptops and she knows little
    about computers at all. Any help is appreciated thank you all

    Frank J Wolz III, Sep 30, 2004

  2. Frank J Wolz III

    foolinyu Guest

    Read the manual first and go with that.

    In general, for li-ion, leave it on will kill the battery within 6 months if
    not sooner and that's what I did with mine but my Compaq, purchased new and
    sealed in box, didn't come with a manual and no manual replacement is/was
    available. Anyway, cycle it (charge it full and discharge) a few times then
    pull it out at half full and store it in a cool place. Meanwhile, as an
    option, buy a cheap UPS (much cheaper than a new $200 battery) and use that
    instead.

    foolinyu, Oct 2, 2004

  3. Frank J Wolz III

    Dennis Guest

    Based on my experience and of others:
    I say keep it in the PC, Li-Ion Batts degrade regardless of usage. You
    should get at least 2 or 3 years of life.
    I kept my in the laptop for more than 2 years still 100% good. I dischrage
    it 4 times a year down to 20%.
    Good luck.

    Dennis, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Frank J Wolz III

    genius Guest

    I own my SONY TR1 with a LI IO Battery for a year now.
    I haven't done anything special to preserve my Battery (e.g. take it
    out) and it still has approximately the same Lifetime as it was new.

    I use my Laptop every day, sometimes (one or two times per week) I
    use it on battery not looking if its empty or half full until I put
    it on the AC adapter again. When it's turned off I leave it plugged
    in most times.

    There are people I know who work their ass of to do everything for
    their batteries as decribed in manuals. But often enough their
    batteries die sooner than my heavy and carefree used ones.

    Your Laptop's worth half the Prize in a year anyway. And if you
    haven't needed the battery until then it's very unlikely that you
    will have to use it any time later (on an old machine)

    You've paid for it. Use it.

    genius, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Frank J Wolz III

    NX70 Guest

    I owned a Sony SR21k and the battery died after 7months of normal usage. I
    left it in the Laptop. Bought a second one- same problem. Some advices:
    1. Take the battery out after it is half way full. Fully charged it will be
    drained after 3 months. Half charged only after 6 months!!

    2. Try to keep the temperature around under 60┬░Celsius. If not it is trashed
    in no time- depends upon the heat design. I am using a Latitude from Dell
    and their batteries ar mostly save against this issue.

    3. Check when the battery was manufactured. Li-Ion do die after 3-4years. No
    matter you have used them or not. Try a search on the internet for "diefer +
    Speedswitch" or his IKfangui. These programs work with most Dell laptops and
    give you intersting information about the laptop as well as control over the
    cpu-fan.

    4. NEVER let the battery drain under 20%. If you do so the Li-Ion corrodes
    and has lost some of its power.

    relax and enjoy your new mobility.
    NX

    NX70, Oct 13, 2004
  6. Frank J Wolz III

    Conway Yee Guest

    The problem with this is that a battery would cycle between 20% and
    50% full leaving 30% of the battery. A typical battery is rated about
    2 hours. This means using the battery for ONLY 40 minutes at a
    stretch. This isn't practical in many circumstances.

    Conway Yee

    Conway Yee, Oct 13, 2004
  7. Frank J Wolz III

    NX70 Guest

    I am sorry I don't get this. Could you explain in details, pls?
    What i meant was: if Windows shows you only 20% left try to stop working on
    battery. If not you Li-Ion will take severe damage. My Dell lasts for about
    4hours. So I only have 3,2hours left. I can live with this.

    NX70, Oct 13, 2004
  8. Frank J Wolz III

    Chris Allen Guest

    No. "Take the battery out after it is half way full," refers to
    taking the battery out and storing it while the laptop instead
    is powered by the AC adapter.

    "NEVER let the battery drain under 20%," refers to using the
    battery to power the laptop, where the battery is also
    initially charged to 100%.

    Chris Allen, Oct 14, 2004
  9. Frank J Wolz III

    Conway Yee Guest

    OK, let me try. But I suspect we have a serious disconnect with terms.
    This means to me 50% charged. In other words, a 4 hour battery, if
    run dry would work for 2 hours.
    This means to me that a 4 hour battery, if run dry, would work for 48
    minutes.
    If I read your post correctly, you cycle your 4 hour battery between 2
    hours of charge left and 48 minutes left. This means that on each
    cycle, you can only use the battery for 1 hour 12 minutes. While this
    is OK if you have access to AC power but in this case, why are you on
    battery anyway? Batteries are needed when you AREN'T near a power
    outlet. This means that you can only use your laptop for 1 hour 12
    minutes at a time which is certainly insufficient for ANY real work.

    Conway Yee

    Conway Yee, Oct 14, 2004
  10. Frank J Wolz III

    NX70 Guest

    Now I get it:
    Sorry for my poor English explanation.
    I am talking about two different situations:
    If you want to STORE the battery longer than a few days or two weeks without
    using it- then charging it to only half way full is better, because it
    doesn't drain as fast as it would do if fully charged.

    If you are using it, then charge it fully before travelling and then dont
    let it drain under 20%.
    That was my faulty explanation I apologize for that.

    NX70, Oct 14, 2004
  11. Frank J Wolz III

    Conway Yee Guest

    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.