Extended warranty argument with Sony - plastic parts damaged.

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Dave, Apr 6, 2009.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I've got a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ4XWN/C laptop. It was not a budget laptop,
    but a carbon-fibre business grade machine (cost £1600, came with Vista
    business). I took out an extended warranty with Sony.

    The hinge on the lid became seized up. Hence as one attempted to
    open-close the lid, it put stress on the plastic casing around the
    screen. It has essentially punched a hole in the plastic, the same
    dimensions as the hinge.

    Sony are happy to replace the hinge, but are arguing over the plastic
    casing, claiming I need to pay for this. I'm a bit peeved about this,
    since the only reason the case got damaged is because the hinge seized
    up. The damaged area is limited to that of the hinge.

    Has anyone else had this sort of problem with Sony, or extended
    warranties in general?

    Any advice on the best way to proceed? My inclination is to pay the bill
    then put a claim to the financial ombudsmen whose remit I think would
    cover this. I suspect Sony would give up and just refund my money at
    that point.

    As a matter of interest, when the laptop was returned, it did not have
    Windows Vista on it any more, as I've changed the operating system to
    OpenSolaris. I did bring this to Sony's attention before the laptop was
    returned, but they did not seem bothered by this. They just said it may
    be necessary for them to reinstall Windows.

    I believe some companies have refused to support machines where the OS
    has been replaced, but Sony seemed ok about it. In any case, the faults
    on it (there are a few minor ones too) are clearly not related to the OS.

    --
    I respectfully request that this message is not archived by companies as
    unscrupulous as 'Experts Exchange' . In case you are unaware,

    Dave, Apr 6, 2009

  2. Dave

    Adrian C Guest

    Sorry to hear of your woe. I would persue it further though, and like a
    car put in for repair, the replaced parts are your property and you
    should request them back at least.

    IMO the only purveyors of business laptops are them that can be trusted
    to have readily available technical information when required, and not
    leave everything up to a monopoly desiring service organisation.

    So for business use, machines from Lenovo, HP, Dell and Toshiba get my
    interest.

    Sony & Fujitsu Siemens don't.

    Adrian C, Apr 7, 2009

  3. Re: "Never again will I buy a Sony expended warranty"

    The more correct policy would be "never again will I buy a Sony".

    Sony has been TERRIBLE as a laptop vendor whenever any kind of support
    is needed. You situation is not new or unique.

    What they are doing is not legal. Sony needs to have a few "close
    encounters of the class action kind". I'd make "legal noises", and,
    perhaps, actually file a small claims court action against them. Also,
    do a search for "Sony laptop class action" on the web, and see if you
    can get a class action law firm interested in the case (not likely
    unless it's more widespread than your posts indicate).

    Again, when it comes to support (even just things like drivers), Sony
    has been consistently awful, and I strongly urge people to avoid Sony
    laptops.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 7, 2009
  4. Re: "Lenovo, HP, Dell and Toshiba"

    That's about it. I actually might add Gateway to that list and take HP
    off it (I've had a lot of problems with HP when support is needed; they
    are not quite as arrogant and intentionally bad as Sony, but they seem
    to screw up a lot (I have jokingly referred to their service department
    as the laptop motel: Returned laptops check in, but they don't check
    out.). I don't have a lot of experience with Gateway, but the recent
    experiences I have had were above my expectations.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 7, 2009
  5. Heh! Post your pictures, documents, and arguments to www.consumerist.com

    Consumerist (now a blog of Consumer Reports) delights in suggesting
    things like the "executive carpet bomb" and other tactics in getting
    what you think you want from a warranty. It is a long shot, but other
    Sony issues have gained their support since Sony is long on talk and
    very short on action with their warranties.

    Frankly, posting your experience on Consumerist likely will get you an
    instant positive response from Sony, the One and Oney. Now, this will
    happen ONLY if you can justify, without qualifications, your objections
    to Sony warranty practice. The onus is on you to present a clear,
    concise, explanation; photos; and any communication docs with Sony that
    you have.

    You probably have a case, but know that Consumerist readers are very
    adept at finding critical fault, so you had better be correct in your
    analysis about the case cracking fault relative to the frozen hinge fault.

    AnonDelMundial, Apr 7, 2009
  6. Dave

    BillW50 Guest

    In Barry Watzman typed on Mon, 06 Apr 2009 20:40:05 -0400:
    Sony BMG was also the same company that would *secretly* install a
    rootkit on your computer *without* your knowledge. Which is totally
    illegal in the US. When you auto ran one of their audio CDs into your
    Windows computer.

    http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2006/hearings/sonydrm-ext.pdf

    BillW50, Apr 7, 2009
  7. Dave

    Adrian C Guest

    And in my opinion, Sony make some very nice audio, video and telecoms
    gear if you are spending decent money - of which I have no hesitation in
    recommending. There are shortcomings to their lower priced ranges,
    especially around ergonomics and things designed to look better than
    their technical ability, but that's probably same across other brands.

    When it comes to making computers, Sony turns to OEM's like Asus, Quanta
    and makes a few themselves. Although they may specify the quality and
    toughness of materials to make their range, the actual engineering and
    production effort is left to the OEM. And the source of the product
    service manual for the proper support of customers, is hidden under a
    considerable smoke screen compared to other manufacturers, even those
    using the same OEM's.

    They don't do themselves favours. Here in the UK, their computer support
    side is occasionally found lacking for the expenditure that some
    customers have paid out. I've stood inside some flashy Sony dealer
    premises and listened to some complaining customers attempting to pass
    the first hurdle - the sales assistant behind the counter. Not good :-(

    Adrian C, Apr 7, 2009