    to drag it to the trash to eject it before shutting the power off on
    the drive, it won't go away. Command-e has no effect either.

    Is there a known problem or is this a glitch?

    Phil Stripling, Oct 25, 2006

  2. I get no feedback at all. I click on the drive, and the trash icon
    changes to that little arrow that indicates eject, I drag the icon of
    the dirve to the arrow and drop it on it, releasing the mouse button,
    the arrow icon reverts to trash, the drive icon pops back to its
    orginial position, then stays there forever. No dialogue, no error
    messages, no nothing, as if I'd never tried to eject it. Using the
    Finder eject menu item after selecting the drive icon has no results
    either.

    I notice Tim Lance says he can eject by using window, so I'll try that.
    If it's happening to him, I'll send in a bug report. I'm on 10.4.8, for
    what it's worth.

    Phil Stripling, Oct 25, 2006

  3. Oh - how do I tell if Spotlight is indexing it?

    Phil Stripling, Oct 25, 2006
  4. Okay, it's not indexing. The drive just won't eject.

    Phil Stripling, Oct 26, 2006
  5. Phil Stripling

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I suspect that something has a file open on the volume. If you're
    comfortable with the terminal, you could try:
    lsof | grep -i <the name of the volume that won't eject>
    to verify that cause.

    Tom Stiller, Oct 26, 2006
  6. Okay, that gives me the problem, but not the cure. I have 61 lines in
    response, all of which say a variation of
    Finder 190 philstripling 14r VREG
    stat(/Volumes/250 GB Hard Drive/.Trashes/501/george/..namedfork/rsrc):
    No such file or directory

    I know exactly what I did wrong. 'george' is a plug-in for PhotoShop
    Elements that wouldn't go down the trash when I tried to empty it, so I
    renamed it to see if that would do it. I have no idea why it shows up
    61 times, but such is life.

    Thanks, Tom. That's solved the puzzling question of why it won't eject.
    Now, what do I do to get rid of those 61 instances of george?

    (By the way, everytime I turned the external drive on, george showed up
    in the trash, so today I went into the terminal and found george on the
    external drive and said rm george, which emptied the trash.

    Phil Stripling, Oct 27, 2006
  7. Phil Stripling

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I guess a restart won"t do the trick? The '-f' option of umount may do
    the job.

    Tom Stiller, Oct 27, 2006
  8. Any idea on how to get rid of those nuisances, though?

    Phil Stripling, Oct 27, 2006
  9. That was my first thought.

    For some reason, I'm prohibited from using 'ls' on the .Trashes
    directory, and I can't CD to the directory below .Trashes.

    Phil Stripling, Oct 27, 2006
  10. That was my first thought.

    For some reason, I'm prohibited from using 'ls' on the .Trashes
    directory, and I can't CD to the directory below .Trashes.[/QUOTE]

    Try "Secure Empty Trash" from the Finder menu; I have yet to see it not
    be able to empty the trash of every file.

    Michelle Steiner, Oct 27, 2006