    4200rpm speed, 12 ms Access time, 80GB capacity and 1MB Buffer. If I
    bought an external drive with 7200rpm and connected it via a usb2
    connection would this perform better?

    Paul, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Paul

    jakdedert Guest

    jakdedert, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Paul

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Based on my experience, yes. My external drives (7200rpm, 8MB cache,
    USB2) are faster than my internal laptop drive (4200rpm) for large file
    intensive activities.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Feb 17, 2005
  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks for replying.

    The biggest use of the harddrive will be storing wave files that will
    have to be accessed from music applications such as cool edit pro or
    Reason. Is this a similar idea to what u have used your external drives
    for e.g. media software

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 18, 2005
  5. Paul

    Lisa Horton Guest

    My use is digital imaging. The files range from 6.5MB to a peak size of
    about 35MB, and I often do batch manipulations. So, my results are
    really pertinent only to applications involving larger file sizes. You
    may not see the same benefits if your file sizes are a lot smaller.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Feb 18, 2005