1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

External Drives Connected Internally

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nullcode, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. Nullcode

    Nullcode Guest

    Im looking to build my own external dvd drive enclosure using Internal

    I already have more than enough drives, so I dont really want to buy an
    external drive. What I want to do convert the molex and ide to connect
    into the back of the base system via USB, Im happy to have some mod to
    convert the molex to the mains AC. Ive seen IDE->USB adapters which look
    ideal, but they are a little big and expensive. The power cabling is the
    most troubling part as I dont really know where to start, what would be
    the best way to achieve this and what parts would I be looking for. Help
    and resources would be greatfully recieved.

    Nullcode, Jul 13, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Nullcode

    Jan Alter Guest

    I guess it's a commendable idea but there are already so many external drive
    enclosures out there that it's like reinventing the wheel. Before you
    continue your quest why don't you check newegg.com out. They've got at least
    50 drive enclosure cases and many will take either a hard drive or
    CD-ROM/DVD player or burner. I've had good luck with the Bytec that listed
    below for less than $40
    Jan Alter, Jul 14, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Nullcode

    kony Guest

    Frankly, "do some mod to convert" makes me wonder if you'd
    end up electrocuting yourself. The solution is not a mod to
    power it from AC, it is a complete switching power supply.
    There are other ways, not as optimal, efficient, or tidy.

    Big? It's an adapter, a circuit not just a pin converter so
    it can only get so small. You make no reference to specific
    products though so there is no frame of reference for how
    big, "big" is.
    Either get an extension cable to take the computer power
    over to the enclosure or buy an adapter that comes with a
    small power supply. For example,

    However, if your system supports SATA, you might be better
    off getting an SATA to IDE adapter (since the drive is
    presumably IDE, PATA) as it will be significantly faster
    than USB2 and less system overhead.
    kony, Jul 14, 2005
  4. Nullcode

    Nullcode Guest

    The reason I ask is that Im building the whole case from scratch and Ill
    be constructing the enclosures to match. I did consider buying an
    enclosure and taking out the circuitry, but it would be an expensive way
    to do it.
    Nullcode, Jul 14, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.