    the best way to achieve this and what parts would I be looking for. Help
    and resources would be greatfully recieved.

    Thanks

    Nullcode, Jul 13, 2005

  2. Nullcode

    Jan Alter Guest

    I guess it's a commendable idea but there are already so many external drive
    enclosures out there that it's like reinventing the wheel. Before you
    continue your quest why don't you check newegg.com out. They've got at least
    50 drive enclosure cases and many will take either a hard drive or
    CD-ROM/DVD player or burner. I've had good luck with the Bytec that listed
    below for less than $40
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145342

    Jan Alter, Jul 14, 2005

  3. Nullcode

    kony Guest

    Frankly, "do some mod to convert" makes me wonder if you'd
    end up electrocuting yourself. The solution is not a mod to
    power it from AC, it is a complete switching power supply.
    There are other ways, not as optimal, efficient, or tidy.

    Big? It's an adapter, a circuit not just a pin converter so
    it can only get so small. You make no reference to specific
    products though so there is no frame of reference for how
    big, "big" is.
    Either get an extension cable to take the computer power
    over to the enclosure or buy an adapter that comes with a
    small power supply. For example,
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=USB2IDE-N&cat=CBL

    However, if your system supports SATA, you might be better
    off getting an SATA to IDE adapter (since the drive is
    presumably IDE, PATA) as it will be significantly faster
    than USB2 and less system overhead.

    kony, Jul 14, 2005
  4. Nullcode

    Nullcode Guest

    The reason I ask is that Im building the whole case from scratch and Ill
    be constructing the enclosures to match. I did consider buying an
    enclosure and taking out the circuitry, but it would be an expensive way
    to do it.

    Nullcode, Jul 14, 2005