External enclosure for internal DVD burner: fan necessary? TDK OK?Firewire worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by duffytweedy, Nov 29, 2007.

  1. duffytweedy

    duffytweedy Guest

    I have an extra 5.25" Pioneer internal DVD burner I want to put to use
    and am looking at external enclosures for it, preferably with Firewire
    connections. My main question is, are fans necessary? I could
    understand for an external harddrive, but some posts elsewhere imply
    that heat can be a problem with burners too.

    Does anyone have experience with the supercheap TDK enclosures, that
    go for under $20? Obviously they're partly plastic (though not
    entirely, as opposed to the Galaxy cases from what I've heard) but
    they look pretty sturdy. Macally makes a gorgeous aluminum enclosure
    for $45, and I understand metal cases dissipate heat better.

    So, is a fan advisable? For infrequent DVD burning, is a cheap
    enclosure OK or just wasted money? Should I stick to a Firewire
    connection for greater speed?

    Thanks.

    duffytweedy, Nov 29, 2007

  2. duffytweedy

    The New Guy Guest

    I have an extra 5.25" Pioneer internal DVD burner I want to put to use
    Most burners give out quite a bit of heat off the bottom when they are
    being used.
    Nowhere near as well as if the case didn't retain the heat in the
    first place. Kind of common sense, when you think about it.
    Not unless you're deaf or work in a noisy environment.
    Firewire might be recognized by the system more reliably. My external
    USB2 drive is hit and miss. Frequently I have to disconnect the usb
    cable then reconnect it for it to be "seen". I don't know if firewire
    helps this situation or not. Perhaps others could comment on that.

    You're not going to pay a lot more for a firewire plug on it.

    Get one with a removable top and bottom cover or drill or punch a lot
    of holes in it. Problem solved. Just say no to unnecessary fans.

    The New Guy, Nov 30, 2007

  3. duffytweedy

    duffytweedy Guest

    Thanks, excellent ideas. My computer setup was never pretty, so I
    don't care if the external burner looks good. The TDK does have
    removable top and bottom covers, so I'll go with it for $14 plus
    shipping on Ebay.

    duffytweedy, Nov 30, 2007
  4. duffytweedy

    The New Guy Guest

    You'll be fine. Use the same principles to keep an external hard
    drive cool as well.

    The New Guy, Dec 1, 2007