External enclosures for two drives?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by DaveC, Nov 14, 2005.

  1. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Since most external hard disk drive enclosures are for IDE/EIDE drives, which
    allow for master/slave on one controller, isn't it possible to run two
    2.5-inch drives in one enclosure?

    I've Googled this but found no such product that allows for two 2.5-inch
    drives in one enclosure.

    I realize that if the enclosure is powered by the usb/fw port, this would
    likely overload, but with external power shouldn't such a product be
    feasible?

    Thanks,

    DaveC

    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    DaveC, Nov 14, 2005

  2. DaveC

    justin Guest

    Well, no, as 2.5 in drives are really slow and small in capacity, these
    are designed for portable devices and are rarely used to expand
    existing memory.

    There are no expectations for powered external disc drive enclosures to
    be that small as these host full size, fast drives.

    If size and portability is an issue then an user will likely choose USB
    flash, "dongle" style drive.

    justin, Nov 14, 2005

  3. DaveC

    zit Guest

    I haven't noticed any problem powering 2 drives in 2 enclosures
    from a TiBook firewire port.

    The extra enclosure is more compact than an extra power supply.

    One drive is a Seagate 120GB. The other a slower 100GB.
    Anyone experienced power problems with 2 drives on laptop firewire??

    zit, Nov 15, 2005