    A neutron walks into a bar.
    Says to the bartender, 'How much for that drink?'
    Bartender says, 'For you no charge.'

    Barry OGrady, Dec 31, 2013

  2. Otto Pylot

    Lewis Guest

    That takes decades with modern SSDs. They are MUCH more reliable than
    spinny discs, and much faster.

    Lewis, Dec 31, 2013

  3. Otto Pylot

    Ant Guest

    Did put backups off-site too?
    --
    "Each of us needs to withdraw from the cares which will not withdraw
    from us. We need hours of aimless wandering or spates of time sitting on

    Ant, Dec 31, 2013
  4. Otto Pylot

    Ant Guest

    Only if they were bigger and cheaper as old fashion HDDs... :(
    --
    ...."Like me with the anthill in my backyard. I spent days watching the
    ants, trying to figure out which ones were good, and which ones were
    bad, but they all just looked like ants, so I started smiting all of
    them." "Well that's not --" "I was smiting them with the garden hose,
    and with lighter fluid, and with the lawnmower, and to be perfectly
    honest, I think I went a little crazy with the shovel. Those ants could
    have been praying to me all day, I wouldn't have heard them." "There was
    nothing they could do about it." "But, I don't think --" "Really, it's
    the same with us. There's nothing we can do about anything either, so
    why worry about it? Hey, this is making me feel better." "Well, that's
    good, but --" "I guess all we can do is live our lives with as much
    kindness and decency as possible, and try not to dwell on God standing
    over us with a giant shovel."...--Dewey and Teacher in Day Care episode
    from Malcolm in the Middle
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Dec 31, 2013
  5. Otto Pylot

    Barry OGrady Guest

    SSDs are not used in servers due to the wear problem thought I did
    see an article where someone was claiming to b able to recover SSDs
    using very high temperatures.
    ================>
    Why did the chicken cross the Mobius Strip?
    To get to the same side!

    Barry OGrady, Jan 1, 2014
  6. Otto Pylot

    Barry OGrady Guest

    I had a Honeywell minicomputer in which the hard drive consisted
    of one fixed and one removable platter. 14" diameter for a total
    storage of 4.9 MB.

    ================>

    Barry OGrady, Jan 1, 2014
  7. Otto Pylot

    Guest Guest

    ssds are definitely used in servers.

    they're more reliable and way the hell faster than hard drives.

    Guest, Jan 1, 2014
  8. Otto Pylot

    Lewis Guest

    Certainly not true. SSDs are used all the time in servers because they
    are faster and more reliable than spinny disks. Unless you need a lot of
    space it would be foolish not to use SSDs.

    A company I work with has a web server with 6 120GB SSDs in a RAID-6.
    That machine screams.

    Your information on wear problems is woefully out of date.
    Next generation SSDs, if the heat mechanisms can be made to work
    reliably, should have read/write cycles in the billions (at least)
    making them the hands-down most reliable storage medium we’ve invented
    so far. Current SSDs are in the hundreds of thousands of cycles.

    Lewis, Jan 1, 2014
  9. Otto Pylot

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Good enough for domestic use but according to a recent article I saw
    the wear problem does not make them suitable for use in servers.

    ================>
    If you don't like what I say you can go know yourself!

    Barry OGrady, Jan 1, 2014
  10. Otto Pylot

    Lewis Guest

    What article you saw where and how recent?

    And whatever article it was, was wrong.

    Lewis, Jan 1, 2014
  11. Otto Pylot

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Not reliable enough for server use according to a recent article.

    ================>
    If you don't like what I say you can go know yourself!

    Barry OGrady, Jan 1, 2014
  12. Otto Pylot

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    The first computer I worked on, the ANFSQ7, had a number of drum
    drives, each drum being about a foot in diameter and about two feet
    long, and the capacity was, according to my memory, about 2,000 32 bit
    words.

    TaliesinSoft, Jan 1, 2014
  13. Otto Pylot

    Guest Guest

    the article is wrong.

    Guest, Jan 1, 2014
  14. Otto Pylot

    Guest Guest

    the article is wrong.

    this may come to you as a surprise, but not all articles you read is
    correct.

    Guest, Jan 1, 2014
  15. Otto Pylot

    J Burns Guest

    J Burns, Jan 1, 2014
  16. Otto Pylot

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Done and thank you for your advice.

    -
    If you don't like what I say you can go know yourself!

    Barry OGrady, Jan 2, 2014
  17. Otto Pylot

    Lewis Guest

    Not quite.

    dash dash space eon-of-line. You have an en-dash instead.

    Lewis, Jan 2, 2014
  18. Just tell us where you obtained your information and let me enlighten
    myself. I will understand if it's a secret as will everyone else.

    leo

    Leonard Blaisdell, Jan 2, 2014
  19. I suspect that's an auto-correct error.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 2, 2014
  20. Otto Pylot

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Jan 2, 2014