    software to read/write to the HDD on a pc after this ?

    Thanks

    Bajji

    Bajjisw, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Bajjisw

    Chris Moore Guest

    What exactly is the purpose of this drive? If it is for you two to swap
    files than format it on the PC (FAT, not NTFS) and share it back and
    forth. He will get a considerable performance hit when utilizing it
    however. If it's for him to use mostly as a backup solution I'd format
    it for Mac (on the Mac) and find another solution for occasional file
    sharing (ethernet, removable media, etc.). If you must read/write to
    the drive after being formatted for the Mac there is a program called
    PC MacLan which will do so but the price may be more than is worth it
    for occasional file sharers.

    Chris Moore, Jan 19, 2005

  3. Bajjisw

    Bajjisw Guest

    Thanks.

    The purpose of this drive is to transfer lots of digital pictures one
    time from PC to Mac. After that, the goal is to use this as a Mac
    Backup solution.

    If I read your email correctly, the best way is to probably use a mac
    to format this. If I can connect this Mac to the network, then I can
    transfer files from the PC.

    So, I will hunt around for a mac :)

    Bajjisw, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Bajjisw

    Bajjisw Guest

    Good suggestion, thanks. But I think the 6 G HDD in his computer does
    not have enough space. I think I am settling on making two partitions
    for him. One FAT32 at the end of the disk and one that he can format
    for Mac.

    Bajjisw, Jan 20, 2005
  5. Ummm...

    I think the suggestion was to format the drive on the PC, take it over
    to the mac, copy the disk contents, then reformat it for a mac as that
    would be it's final destination, and as such it would be beter of
    "going native".

    The disk would only temporarily need to speak PC (FAT32) until you got
    your files transfered across.

    P.

    mr_peter_stevenson, Jan 20, 2005