    separately."

    Is there some place I can lay my hands on one of these? There's no
    indication of a part number in the book.

    Bert, Apr 13, 2012

  2. Bert

    Paul Guest

    An "AT-Everex" perhaps ?

    http://www.pccables.com/07120.htm

    *******

    There are two wiring standards for adapters. AT-Everex and DTK.
    Pccables carries both of them.

    Asus motherboards should all use the same standards. So
    if one Asus uses AT-Everex, they all should. I don't
    recollect any instances of users finding their *modern*
    Asus motherboard was a DTK.

    For reference, this is the link to the DTK flavor.

    http://www.pccables.com/07121.htm

    *******

    And this is the guy who did the original research and concluded
    the 07120 was the correct one.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20100402203328/http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/p4c800e.html

    *******

    I tried to reach estore.asus.com today, but got no answer, so
    perhaps they're out of business. They sell accessories for
    Asus motherboards, but only in a "half serious" way. There
    probably wasn't enough volume in that business, for it to stay
    open.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 13, 2012

  3. Bert

    Bert Guest

    That certainly looks like what I'm after; at the price, I could order one
    of each just to be safe.

    Thanks!

    Bert, Apr 13, 2012
  4. Bert

    ghostrider Guest

    It might be far simpler to provide the vendor
    with the specific model/version of the motherboard.
    Failing this, send the spec sheet for the pinouts
    of the serial port header on the motherboard. It
    can be found in the motherboard manual.

    GR

    ghostrider, Apr 14, 2012
  5. Bert

    Paul Guest

    I have the manual here, e2779_p5b-e.pdf.

    No pinout, and no "name" for the type either. Just a
    stick art diagram showing the connector is 2x5 with
    a keying pin missing, which matches both the AT-Everex
    and the DTK. On page 58 of 158 pages total.

    And if I do a site search against asus.com , I don't find
    "AT/Everex" on the site, on say support.asus.com .

    So you're left to figure it out on your own.

    A site like estore.asus.com would have carried them,
    for North American customers. But that site appears
    to be gone.

    A poster on vip.asus.com suggests the "V1" connector here,
    and if you compare it to the 07120 Everex photo, of how the
    ribbon crosses over before being soldered to the solder-tail
    9 pin D-sub, it's te same wiring.

    http://www.frontx.com/cpx102_2.html

    ( Mentioned here: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=128999 )

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 14, 2012
  6. Bert

    Bert Guest

    In ghostrider <"
    You'd think so, but that's not the case.

    Bert, Apr 14, 2012
  7. Bert

    Anssi Saari Guest

    Yes, it's pretty annoying that Asus doesn't include that. I lucked out
    and found a suitable adapter for my P5Q Deluxe in the box of some older
    Asus motherboard. Of course that was after I managed to buy the wrong
    kind of adaptor.

    Anssi Saari, Apr 18, 2012
  8. Bert

    goldy Guest

    I Have A8N-SLI Premium And It Has A Serial Port Connector COM1. If
    You Get The Manual For The Site Page 2-25 You Can See. Part Number On
    The Bag Is "14G000020093". Found This Site.

    http://www.zmaxtech.com/14g000020093.html

    Good Luck,
    goldy

    goldy, Apr 20, 2012