External storage options, WAS Re: transferring OS/data to new HD

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Dee, Apr 10, 2012.

  1. Dee

    Dee Guest

    Thanks again to everyone who has responded in this thread. I
    appreciate your collective wisdom.

    Here's an update so far. As I was getting ready to install the new
    drive, I heard the grinding noise from the PC again. With the cover
    off the case I could tell immediately that it wasn't the old hard
    drive. I narrowed it down to the power supply, so I went out and
    bought a new one that I'll install later today.

    So now I'm rethinking whether to install this new internal drive if the
    old one might really be fine, at least for another year or two.
    Perhaps I'd do better to have some external storage that I can backup
    to.

    I looked at network and USB drives on Amazon. For some reason the
    network drives aren't rated as highly as the USB drives. I figured
    they'd be identical except for the connection method. My network
    consists of one PC and one router.

    So, opinions, suggestions, advice all gratefully received.

    Thanks, Dee

    Dee, Apr 10, 2012

  2. Dee

    Nick Guest

    Personally, I wouldn't go with a USB 2.0 external drive; the interface is
    just too slow unless you're only dealing with small amounts of data at a
    time.

    If your computer has an appropriate slot free, ESATA 2.0, ESATA 3.0, and USB
    3.0 interface cards are available for $20-$30 or less. A hard drive using
    one of those interfaces will get your backups done in half the time (or
    less) of one using a USB 2.0 card.

    I don't have any experience with network drives, but looking at the
    interface specs on Western Digital's site, their data transfer speed is
    roughly halfway between USB 2.0 and ESATA 2.0.

    ESATA 3.0 and USB 3.0 are both faster than ESATA 2.0, but I wouldn't bother
    with them unless you can get a good price; most ordinary mechanical hard
    drives aren't fast enough to take much advantage of anything faster than
    ESATA 2.0.

    --
    Nick <mailto:>

    Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

    Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
    doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

    Nick, Apr 11, 2012